[ 12 ]

Inaya's POV

Why did I just tell him that? What will that get me?

Nothing. Nothing but humiliation.

"You're a virgin?" A smirk appears on his face.

I nod, gulping hard.

"I prefer my women with more experience but breaking into you sounds... fun." He says too casually.

The blood drains from my face, and my heart goes still.

But he lets me go. "But not today. I'm in a better mood today, I'll let you off."

Just as he was about to leave, he turns around one last time. "You're not going anywhere with Nicholas unless I say so. You're my little whore, amore mìo. Don't let that slip from your mind or else there will be consequences."

I drop to the floor with a loud thud, as every part of my body feels as if it's been used up to bits.

I know why I'm still alive. I know why he kept me alive all this time. I should've known what his plan was all along.

His plan wasn't a swift kill; his plan is to chuck out small bits of my soul one by one.

I gave him one sleepless night. One night where he thought I would destroy everything he built. And now... and now he wants to give me a thousand sleepless nights. Just like he said he would.

I should've known.

But I'm too naive.

I don't know what to do.

I don't know how to handle anything without being too helpful, without giving away too much, without being too nice.

I was raised in a hostile environment yet I didn't grow up to be anything like him, like my father.

When things get tough, I know I might willingly hand over my soul to Dominic because I won't be able to take it; because I'll think that's the best option.

Why?

Because that's who I am. I'd rather suffer than watch others suffer. I'd rather make things easier for others than myself.

That's my character flaw. That's my doom. That's my downfall. And that's what will lead to my death; not of my body but of my soul.

I don't think living is an option for me anymore, but I do want to survive. I want to survive and gain my freedom.

I want to survive. I want to reach my goals. I want to fall in love. I want to get married. I want to have children. I want to be loved.

But the only way I can do that is use my flaw: I'll give Dominic Belcastro all the love and care I have left in my broken soul. I'll give him everything until he either takes my life or let's me go.

Because that's the only way I know how. I'm not strong, neither ruthless. My only hope is that my ability to still love will either save me or destroy me.

• • •

I shouldn't be getting ready to meet Nicholas but I am.

Why am I being so suicidal? I don't know!

Actually, I do know. After that encounter with Dominic, I've felt dirty. I felt like I did something wrong when I did nothing.

I showered way too many times a day, thinking that maybe I could wash away the grim feeling but it never went away.