~ Prologue ~

Ryan Rivera and I tripped over the broken twigs and piercing stones scattered across the forest floor, staggering blindly through the shadows, our lips locked the entire time. The crackling orange streaks that licked the navy sheet hanging high above the treetops dimmed with the joyous drunken shrieks of our fellow students as we ventured deeper into the woods.

I moaned, low and breathless as I dug my nails into a nearby tree trunk. Ryan, having had more experience than I in the art of passionate lovemaking, untucked my shirt, his fingertips brushing the smooth sunkissed skin of my back. Thrusting my chest against his, I gripped the frosted tips of his hair, wrapping my leg around his waist before he fell back atop a grass bed. 

Giggles and groans echoed in the darkness, bouncing around as I kissed his neck. I pulled at the buttons of his shirt, my nails clawing his skin as he wriggled his fingers beneath the waist of my tight, cobalt jeans. I gasped, surprised as he tugged the wine-hued strap of my g-string. "Ryan..."

A vibration against my backside made Ryan release my strap, his fingers tracing shapes on the back of my jeans as he pulled my buzzing cellphone from my pocket. "Leave it," I murmured, my dark brown eyes fixed on the twinkling stars glimmering above as he tickled my neck with soft, delicate butterfly kisses.

"It's... Your dad," he panted, tossing the phone aside.

"Leave it," I repeated, smoothing his crinkled shirt with my palms. "He'll call Elena if... If I don't answer..." Ryan grinned, rolling me onto my back before cupping the curves of my hips. I closed my eyes, nearby moss squishing in my fists as Ryan popped the bronze button of my jeans. 

My heart thudded against my ribcage, pounding harder than it ever had before as he pulled the zip slowly, savoring every moment. I was one of the most popular girls in school, but my secret, my dirty little secret, was that I had none. Ryan had, plenty of times. In fact, any girl he'd ever said hello to probably lost their virginity to him, but not me. Not ever. 

"Ryan." I tilted my head, pursing my lips as he paused, zipper mid-way down. I sat up, running my slender fingers through my long, chocolate hair before grasping my buzzing phone. "I should take this," I apologized, sliding out from beneath him. 

Ryan frowned, his brows furrowed as I rezipped my pants. "Come on, Babe," he moaned, lying flat on the ground. "Your dad can wait, can't he?"

"Can you?" I grinned, biting my lip. He snorted, shaking his head before rolling his eyes. "I'll see you on Monday, all right?"

"Whatever," he breathed, jumping to his feet.

I sat against the tree, smiling as Ryan's sexy silhouette blended with the trees. A part of me was sad to see him go but there was another part of me, a stronger part of me, that couldn't give myself away, not to him, not like that. Ryan was my first solid relationship, but was he the one? I wasn't so sure.

"Hey, Dad," I smiled, attempting a light and cheery tone. Maybe that would help keep me out of trouble. "What's up?"

"EVANGELINE HANNAH GILBERT!" Nope. "Where are you?" He demanded. "Why didn't you pick up the first time I called?"

I sighed, rubbing my temples are his voice blared through the receiver. Honestly, did he have to yell? "Sorry," I muttered, chewing my lip, hoping a more substantial answer would spring to mind. "I... Uh... Sorry."

"Sorry?" He repeated, anger consuming his words. "Is that all you have to say? You're sorry?" He bellowed. 

"Look," I interrupted, brushing dirt from my jeans as I stood using the tree for support. "I know you told us not to come, but-"

"No buts," he snapped. "You can think of a better apology after you apologize to your family for explicitly disobeying me and skipping family night," he threatened. "Now, where are you?" He asked, his volume decreasing ever so slightly. "Is Elena with you?"