~Chapter Forty One~

I sprawled over the grass, my face exposed as I basked in the warm Winter's sun. After Caroline's visit I felt a whole lot better about everything. Stefan called after she left to report Ryan had left town, for the time being anyway. Damon had tracked him as far as Wickery Bridge before he had disappeared and they doubted he would return so soon. 
   In high spirits after making up with Caroline, I headed out to the cemetery to visit Elena and my parents. The sun was shining and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. The wind was brisk but the Fall leaves floating across the lawn was a peaceful sight. "Oh mom," I mumbled, fiddling with a blade of grass as I gazed upon the three, solemn headstones. "I finally found the right one." Unable to suppress my joy, I smiled. "Sorry," I shook my head. "Every time I talk about him I can't seem to stop smiling, must be a good sign, right?" Reaching out, I pressed the palm of my hand against the hard concrete, tracing the outline of her name. "I wish you could have met him. Dad did, briefly, and I'm sure he had no ill thoughts of him considering he saved me... You would have liked him. He's not like the other guys I've dated, no. He's kind and smart and funny. H's full of compassion and has such a big heart. He's also a vampire," I tilted my head, watching the blade of grass sinking into the damp soil. "But a good one, like Edward from Twilight. Although he's better than any Cullen," I added. "Unlike Bella, my Prince Charming is real."

~~~

The breeze combed my hair back as I ambled down the path, my shoulder back gently bumping against my leg as I left the black, iron gates behind me. It had been a while since my last visit but it was nice talking to mom again. In the early days I found myself crying and writing and crying and screaming and crying again, but ever since my trip to Atlanta, I found myself crying less. I saw the joy in the memories rather than the sorrow. Yes, the fact they were dead was upsetting and hard, but I had accepted it and, surprisingly, I was OK with it too. I's been scared to admit they were dead because I feared that would make it real, and the pain too much to bear, and at times it was, but Damon was right. Saying it aloud, it allowed me to move on, and even though I still wrote in my diary and spent many afternoons at the cemetery, I had.

I was greeted by the delicious scent of freshly cooked chicken and spices as I hung my scarf and coat on the rack by the door. A part of me wondered if I had gotten the wrong house considering Jenna never cooked, but after a quick survey of the hall, I was pleasantly surprised to find I was.
   "Jenna, I can't believe you're... Cooking." I turned into the kitchen, wondering once again if this was the right house. Jenna was sitting on the bench sipping on a glass of recently opened red wine while Damon stood at the island, a green checkered tea towel slung over his shoulder as he chopped some carrots. "I guess that's because you're not cooking," I pursed my lips. "Damon."
   "Hello Eva," he smiled pleasantly. "How was your day? Mine was calm, quiet, uneventful for the most part," he made light conversation while Jenna watched us both, a silly grin on her face.
   "Uh... What are you doing here?"
   "I bumped into your family at the Grill," he explained, checking the chicken in the oven. "Your lovely aunt invited me to family night," he threw Jenna a flirtatious smile. "Thanks by the way, it's not everyday I get to cook for my brother, his girlfriend and his girlfriend's family."
   Jenna giggled silently as she took another swig of wine, clearly enjoying the attention. She was always so silly around guys she found attractive, especially when they were flirting with her. Ignoring Damon, I turned to Jenna. "Jeremy mentioned you guys had lunch. With Anna."
   "Oh yes," she almost spilled her drink. "Anna."
   "What's the verdict?" I raised an eyebrow.
   "Home schooled, polite, very knowledgeable, head strong yet reserved and just a friend, or at least that's what they tell me," she rolled her eyes. "Seems nice," she concluded.
   "Seems," I heard Damon utter under his breath.
   "Well I can't wait to meet her," I beamed, placing my bag on the bench, my diary peeking out the top. "After all, if Jeremy's friend wants to be considered anything more than a friend, she has to have my big sister approval."
   "Hear hear!" Jenna toasted, sliding tipsily off the bench. "I'm going to call Alaric, see how far away he is. Can't have Damon's chicken getting cold."
   "Hear hear," Damon repeated, calling after her as she disappeared upstairs.