~Chapter Two~

I wanted to curl up into a ball, hide away under my covers, and never come out. Ever. It seemed like the eyes of every single student loitering in the parking lot were on me and Bonnie led me through the gossiping crowds. I knew my first day would suck, Elena was literally one of the only things that made it bearable, but I hadn't thought it'd suck this much. Noticing my unease, Bonnie hooked her arm through mine and walked with her head held high as though this day were like any other. At least I still had Bonnie.
   "Evangeline Gilbert, is that you?!"
   Caroline's shrill voice turned even more heads, drawing the attention of the few gracious souls who hadn't thought to stare. Great. Mimicking Bonnie's amusement, I resisted the urge to hide as our other best friend Caroline Forbes bounded over from her locker, her natural blonde curls bouncing with her unsupported breasts.
   "Oh Eva," she sighed, squeezing me tight like a teddy bear. "I missed you so much! Summer Camp just wasn't the same without you and Elena," she remarked, her expensive perfume making my eyes water. "But enough about me: how are you? Are you all right? Because I know you've had a rough Summer, but the new cheerleading routine is pretty technical and everyone needs to be performance ready for the big game on Friday. Including you," she added sourly. "Unfortunately."
   Without a moment's hesitation, she reached into her thick pink handbag and grabbed a worn sparkly pink notebook that smelled strangely of strawberries. "You don't have to thank me," she began as I thumbed through the pages. "But I had Cecelia write down all of the steps so that you don't waste the other girls' time by asking," she explained. "I advise you study every night and," she cocked her head thoughtfully. "You should definitely practice for at least two hours every day before Friday. An ideal situation would have me telling all of this to Elena—she was always better at picking up new routines than you—but I'm sure if you work hard you won't be a total disaster," she added cheerily.
   I didn't care what Caroline said. Reading the room was not her strong suit. Or any suit. At all.
   "Um..." I pursed my lips, unsure whether to laugh, cry, or slap her across the face. "Thanks, I guess."
   "Oh," she beamed, grasping my bicep. "You're so welcome. I know—"
   "Caroline," Bonnie hissed, pinching her elbow. "She just lost half her family, give her a break."
   Yup. At least I still had Bonnie.
   "Ugh," Caroline complained, stamping her stiletto. "I know, I know. I'm sorry Eva, I just... I guess I just thought acting as if nothing had happened, as if nothing had changed, might help. Like the Gossip Column always says, 'the best way to move on is to go on as if everything is normal.' And then," she snapped her fingers, "poof. You've forgotten your lost love. Problem solved."
   I managed a tight-lipped smile. If only it were that easy.
   "Being dumped and death is not the same, Caroline," Bonnie scolded, folding her arms. "Break ups are rough, sure, but relationships mend. Wounds heal. You can't bring back the dead."
   I shifted my weight uncomfortably. As much as I appreciated my two best friends attempting a supportive front, they were failing miserably. Best friends didn't gossip about each other, but for once I just wished that they'd talk about my family's tragedy behind my back. At least that way I could fool myself into thinking it wasn't happening.
   "I'm sorry, OK?" Caroline huffed defensively, throwing her arms in the air. "I was just trying to help."
   "I know Caroline," I cut in, forcing a smile. "Thank you, but I'm OK," I swore, glancing between the two. "Really. But, to forgo further argument, why don't we talk about something else?" I suggested, ignoring Bonnie's narrowed eyes and evident suspicion. "How about our first day as Juniors," I prompted. "Anything interesting?"
   Jackpot.
   Caroline's baby blues lit up, excitement lightening her entire appearance at the mention. "Oh my goodness," she gasped, her racing thoughts practically visible as she jumped on the spot. "I... Did you... This morning... Well..."
   "Ugh, just spit it out," Bonnie shrieked, catching her enthusiasm like it was a common cold.
   "OK," Caroline breathed, pushing her palms down in an attempt to calm herself. "Well, when I got to school this morning, I saw Jeremy driving without a licensed adult and—" Oh crap. "—He hit somebody."
   "What?!" Bonnie and I exclaimed. She grabbed my arm, squeezing it as my mouth fell open. Panic bubbled inside as I pictured Jeremy, my little brother Jeremy, strewed across the road in the same manner as Rachel, blood splattered everywhere. 
   "Oh, no," Caroline hurried, waving her hands. "He didn't hit somebody, well, not exactly. He almost hit somebody," she clarified, shaking her head. "Playing chicken with Tyler Lockwood."
   I pinched my temple. After everything, after the accident, after the trauma, after the loss; my stupid little brother and last remaining member of my immediate family drives illegally on the road playing chicken. And now he's hanging out with Tyler Lockwood? Oh, was he gonna get an earful. "Is he OK?" I breathed. "Is the... Person, he almost hit OK? Who was it anyway?"
   "Jeremy's fine," she promised in a reassuring tone. "And I have no idea," she squealed. "Some new guy. Now I don't know who he is, or even his name," she rolled her eyes. "But he is so cute!" She insisted, that familiar lovestruck gleam brightening her pupils. "He's so tall, so muscular," she flashed her brows in a complete and unshakable state of entrancement. "And his hair... Oh, his hair," she drooled, clasping her hands over her heart. "It looks so soft, such a light brown, and the way the sunlight dances on it when he walks..."
   Bonnie and I exchanged a glance, barely able to suppress our amusement before we burst out laughing. Caroline, good old Caroline, was many things: gorgeous, head-strong, a hopeless romantic. Discreet, however, she was not. Never had I ever understood the allure of gambling, but I'd be willing to bet she'd have his schedule memorized by the end of first period. Second tops.
   "Well," I giggled, snapping Caroline out of her new-guy-inspired daydream. "This has been fun, but Jeremy and I have a meeting with Principal Weber. See you later?"
   With a teary nod, Bonnie choked on a laugh and waved, hanging off of Caroline as I navigated my way through the increasingly familiar halls. I'd imagined my first day back many times in my head. I'd imagined everything going back to normal, and everything going to pot. Today started off rocky, but it wasn't so bad. At least, not yet anyway.