~Chapter Twenty Three~

Jenna and Jeremy sat on the edge of their seats, a tense silence filling the room. It was make or break. If I rolled a seven or twelve, I was safe. But if I didn't, I would lose to my little brother. Jenna clasped her hands in front of her face, the tips of her fingers resting on her lip, anxious to see whether I would make it through another round or not.
   The dice knocked against each other as they landed on the board, revealing a four and a three. Jeremy jumped up, fists in the air as he leaped around, whooping. Jenna fell back into the couch, feeling just as defeated as me (because she'd lost to Jeremy earlier and was hoping I'd avenge her and beat him). 
   "Yes!" He pumped his fist. "I beat you both! How about another game?" He grinned, glancing between me and Jenna.
   Shaking my head, I yawned and pulled the recliner throw over my lap, sinking into the soft fabric. "No way. Never again."
   "Aw," he pulled a sad face, his bottom lip pulled over the top, almost touching his nose. "Sore loser, huh?" He laughed, throwing his head back.
   Jenna and I booed him as he headed to the kitchen to make popcorn, the power of being a winner going straight to his head. As annoying as it was to see him win, I was glad he was back to his old self, or at the least the self he was when mom, dad and Elena were still around.
   "So," Jenna began, packing the monopoly board back into it's box. "Where'd you go this morning? I got up and you were gone."
   "Uh... To see Stefan," I lied. I didn't want to lie to Jenna, we were close, but I couldn't handle the questions which would follow, 'I went to the Grill to see Damon Salvatore.' Besides, what would I tell her? That I went to see him because he erased Jeremy's memory? That wouldn't fly well. At all. 
   "Oh," she grinned. "And?"
   "And nothing," I sighed. "It's official. We are no longer and thing and that's not gonna change."
   She pursed her lips and rested a comforting hand on my shoulder. "I'm sorry Eva, that really sucks. He was a good guy, really seemed to make you happy."
   "Yeah, well, I think he caused me more grief than joy so, it's probably for the best. What about you? Where were you last night... And the night before?"
   Aunt Jenna couldn't hide the blush or the grin as she twirled her hair, something she only did if she was hopelessly crushing on someone. This would be good.
   "I was at the bar," she admitted, trying to suppress the grin which kept coming back. "With Alaric."
   My face dropped. "My History teacher Alaric?" I raised my eyebrows, cringing at the thought of my legal guardian and teacher making small talk over drinks. "Why?" I groaned. "What happened to Logan?"
   "That's the question of the day," she pursed her lips, tucking the box in the tray underneath the coffee table. "I haven't seen him in an entire week. He won't take my calls or reply to my texts so I can only assume we are no longer dating which means I am free to see other men."
   "And it had to be Mr Saltzman," I shook my head disapprovingly. "Great."

~~~

After knocking non stop on the front door of the Bennett's house without a response, I tried the handle and, when it opened, invited myself inside. "Bonnie?" I called. There was nobody in the main living areas, but someone must have been home otherwise the door would have been locked. "Bonnie?" I poked my head around the corner of her door to find Bonnie sitting in the center of an ancient rug her Grams had given them years before, her legs crossed an eyes closed, a number of short candles forming a circle around her. "Bonnie..." I frowned, flicking the lights on. "What are you doing?"
   Bonnie's eyes snapped open like she'd just been caught cheating on a Biology quiz. With the tips of her fingers still folded into the center of her palms, she blinked, her lips forming a slightly confused expression as she focused on me. Moving the candles aside, I sat across from her and leaned forward, grabbing her hands. "Bonnie," I raised my eyebrows, concerned. "What are you doing?"
   Tears filled Bonnie's eyes as she stared into mine, her fingers suddenly coiling around mine as though she had just returned for an alternate universe. "Eva?" She breathed, starting to hyperventilate.
   "Bonnie," I ran my arm down her arm. "Are you OK? What happened?"
   Hands trembling, Bonnie shook the flames from the candles and reached behind her, pulling a large, heavy, leather bound book from under her bed and placing it in my lap. Marveling at the studded beads forming triangles at the corners, I ran my fingers over the silvery letters Sheila Bennett, amazed at the beautiful crafted cover.
   "It's my Grams," she croaked, the tears disappearing as though an invisible hand were wiping them from her face. 
   "What is it?" I frowned, watching her face cautiously, waiting to see if my mind was playing tricks on me or if Bonnie's tears actually did just evaporate into thin air.
   "Open it," she sniffed. "See for yourself."
   My eyebrows furrowed and mouth slowly opened as I stared in awe at the markings and symbols scattered through the pages. Flicking though the thick paper, I realised this was not just an ordinary book. It was a spell book... For witches. 
   "Bonnie," I gasped. "Is this what I think it is?"
   Pursing her lips, she nodded. "Yep. Remember when I told you that all of my women ancestors were witches?" I nodded, concerned, scared and intrigued. "Well," she sighed. "So am I, and my Grams. My ancestors have passed down their spell books from generation to generation - Grams has an entire library full of them in a secret room of her house. Grams's mom, Amelia Bennett, gave Grams her own book when she came into her powers so that she could record her own spells, as well as the other spell books she had accumulated over the years. Grams is letting me borrow it," she explained. "The first section is full of starter spells as Grams called it," she rolled her eyes. "Just simple tricks to help me get comfortable with my magic."
   Tears pricked my eyes as I continued to thumb through. Unable to take it anymore, I slammed the book shut, a mist of dust falling over my lap. "Bonnie... This is crazy," I panicked.
   Bonnie's smile which had appeared while explaining the book faded, a look of disappointment and sorrow replacing it. "And this is why I didn't tell you," her voice hardened. "Because you don't care."
   "Bonnie," I pleaded, reaching out as she collapsed onto her bed, exasperated.
   "Stop pretending Eva," she grizzled. "I know you act like you care about me being a witch and everything, but you don't."
   "Bonnie, that's not true," I argued, sitting on the edge of her bed.
   "Yes, it is. Every time the topic of me being a witch comes up you barely say anything and then take the first chance to change the subject."
   Taking a deep breath, I grabbed the small, square vermilion pillow from her bed and held it in my lap, trying to think of what to say in response. I loved Bonnie so much, she was my best friend and I did care about her and what was happening in her life, but being a witch? I'd be the first to admit I wasn't exactly a fan.
   "Bonnie," I started cautiously, hoping to word this right. "I love you. You're my best friend, and I know I haven't been the most receptive to your... Witchyness, but I am trying. I promise you, even though it may not seem like it, I am trying to understand."
   "Trying?" She scoffed. "Do you know why I offered to bring Halloween to you last week? It wasn't because I thought you needed to experience the holiday. It was because I wanted to spend time with you because we haven't done that in ages. And I know, we've all been busy, but that was the first time in a while we could all hang out, the three of us, but in the car you were talking to Stefan and as soon as we got there you totally ditched us."
   "I know," I apologised, grabbing her hands. "I know, and I have been such a bad friend, I know that, but I've had my own stuff to deal with and my own problems I'm working through at the moment. And I know that's no excuse, but I'm sorry Bonnie, I really am."
   "What problems?" Her expression changed and tone shifted from upset to worried. "And why am I only hearing this now?" She raised her eyebrows in question.
   Grabbing the roots of my hair with my hands, balled into fists, I squeezed my eyes shut. How could I tell Bonnie without exposing Stefan and Damon? "It doesn't matter," I brushed it off. "I know you have your own problems and I don't want to burden you with mine, but witches? It's not really my thing." She rolled her eyes so I quickly added, "but it could be, if you just... Maybe explain it to me again. I mean, witchcraft is kind of a big deal and finding out your best friend is a witch isn't exactly easy to wrap your head around."
   Bonnie nodded, and understanding and satisfied look in her eyes. "I guess that's fair," she half smiled, clearly feeling a lot better about our relationship. I smiled back. I guessed I was too, even though we hadn't exactly discussed anything.