~Chapter Thirty Nine~

Wrapped in a blanket, Stefan and I rocked on the porch swing while the jug boiled in the kitchen ready for hot chocolates. A cool breeze drifted under the cover as a mass of clouds his the moon behind the grey. Stefan's hand rested on my shoulder as I rested the back of my head on the soft flesh above his armpit.
   "What was his name?" I whispered as he fiddled with a loose strand hanging behind my ear. 
   "Noah."
   "Why did Noah come after me?" I croaked as the moisture returned to my eyes. If there was no particular reason behind Noah's attack, then Jenna and Jeremy were safe, it was just a coincidence and it wasn't likely to happen again. If it was, however, a targeted attack as Damon, Stefan and I suspected, then we were all potentially in very grave danger.
   "Because you look like Katherine," Stefan sighed, saddened by this unfortunate truth. "Damon and I didn't realise there were other vampires who knew Katherine, or at least other vampires in Mystic Falls that is," he explained. "She died over a century ago."
   My heart pounded in my chest. Stefan once told me that the older the vampire, the stronger they were. Any vampire who recognised me as Katherine had to be as strong as the Salvatore's which meant any vampire seeking revenge on the selfish, backstabbing Katherine Pierce had just as much of a chance of killing me as Stefan and Damon did protecting me. 
   "Hey," Stefan leaned forward, placing his thumb against the edge of my lip. "It's going to be OK, alright? I am not going to let anything happen to you, you hear me? I wasn't there tonight but I will be next time. I prom-"
   "Stefan," I interrupted, placing my finger against his lips. "You can't make that promise, I won't let you. You can't keep it, and, as crazy as it sounds, that's OK. I fought back tonight and... It felt good. Really good, actually. Knowing that I can hold my own and defend myself against a vampire as old and as strong as you? It's a great feeling and I know you worry about Damon but if I can defend myself against Noah, then, surely I can defend myself against him."
   "I wish you didn't have to fight," he pursed his lips.
   "I know, and believe me, I don't want to do that again, but knowing that I'm brave enough to do something like that? It makes me feel more independent and safe, and I know how much you care about my safety." I batted my long, fake 50s lashes.
   Chuckling, Stefan shook his head and hugged me close. "I'm so proud of you."
   "Me too," I smiled, breathing in his familiar scent. 
   "Speaking of which," he pulled back. "I need to tell you something and, I'm not sure how you're going to feel about it."
   "But you promised to be honest," I finished his sentence for him. "What is it?"
   "I told Damon that I'd help him get into the tomb and free Katherine, but it was a lie," he reassured me. "I let him believe that he can trust me."
   "Then why would you be worried about telling me?" I furrowed my eyebrows, confused as to why he would keep this from me in the first place.
   "Damon can be very persuasive," he explained. "And you two have... Bonded, lately."
   I tilted my head, offering a disapproving frown. "Stefan, that doesn't mean I trust him. It's going to take a lot more than a road trip and a rescue for me to forget who Damon and is and everything he's done. Besides," I ran my hand down his back. "I don't particularly want a bunch of vampires with a one hundred and fifty year long grudge unleashed on our town."
   "I don't want to be his enemy, but I can't let him do it," he sighed, shaking his head.
   "Then don't. And I'll help you, whatever it takes."

Hand in hand, Stefan and I strolled into the house and headed for the kitchen where we made hot chocolates. Reaching on my tip toes, I stretched my fingers as far as they would go, straining to reach the bag of marshmallows stashed at the back of the top shelf. Appearing beside me, Stefan retrieved the bag with ease. Placing one gently between his lips, he enveloped me in his arms and leaned down. Pressing my lips against his, I sucked the marshmallow into my own mouth and opened my eyes, giggling as he set me back on my feet.
   Snuggling on the couch, I leaned into him and closed my eyes, smiling as my head rose with his chest as he breathed. This moment was completely and utterly perfect and nothing was going to ruin this. Not Katherine, not Damon and not some blood obsessed vampire. This moment was perfect and it was going to stay that way.
   "Eva?" Stefan whispered as he downed his hot chocolate.
   "Mm?"
   "Earlier, at the dance, something was bothering you. You promised to tell me what it was."
   "Not now," I yawned sleepily, snuggling into his side. "Tomorrow..."