~Chapter Twenty Eight~

Dear Diary,
   Stefan and I have spent every spare moment together. At school, at home, and everywhere in between. We still have our issues, but Stefan is being way more honest with me. My trust in him is once again growing and I really feel like I can trust him. I no longer doubt he's telling me the truth and I feel like I can tell him anything. It's such a great feeling, especially since all of my past boyfriends have been mindless idiots who were more into lust than love. 
   Stefan figured out how to harvest the vervain in the cellar and we've been stuffing the acidic herb into jewellery. I gave Aunt Jenna a necklace full of vervain to thank her for taking such good care of Jeremy and I, and for Jeremy I gave a leather bracelet with a manly charm which is also full of vervain.
   Bonnie's dad is out of town for work this weekend so Caroline and I are going over for a slumber party. For Bonnie I have a cute vervain filled bracelet and a necklace for Caroline. I'm hoping they won't ever take them off, so I'm in the process of coming up with a cute friendship story to convince my friends not to take them off. Hopefully it works.

Stefan dropped me off at Bonnie's and I could feel the excitement as my two best friends in the world greeted me at the door. Caroline was glowing and Bonnie couldn't wipe the smile off of her face. It was the perfect time to distribute my gifts. 
   "So," I started, pulling the tiny boxes from my overnight duffel bag. "I know it's a little cheesy, but I just appreciate you both so much and I decided to get you guys some presents."
   Caroline's face lit up. "Ooh, I like the sound of that," she squealed excitedly. 
   Bonnie laughed as she bounced up and down on her bed, clapping her hands excitedly. Even though my gifts weren't originally bought to celebrate our friendship, I was glad I did this. They had been with me through thick and thin and they deserved this.
   "Caroline," I smiled as I handed her the larger box. "This one's for you. And Bonnie, this one's yours."
   Both girls tore their packages open and their reactions were just as I'd hoped. "Oh, Eva," Bonnie breathed as she pulled the golden bracelet from it's container. "It's so beautiful, thank you." She leaned over and wrapped her arms around me, squeezing me tight before she sat back and clasped the chain around her dark chocolate wrist. 
   "Eva," Caroline exclaimed in a high pitch voice. "Thank you so much. This necklace is... I don't think I'll ever take it off! Thank you."
   I beamed. We'd all been through a lot lately. Bonnie with her witch stuff, me with my family and vampire boyfriend, but Caroline was the one who had to deal with Damon's cruelty. Even though she didn't remember it, she deserved this. Now I didn't need to worry about Damon.
   "Help me put it on," Caroline bounded over, holding her necklace out as she lifted her long, buttercup hair above her neck. 
   "Oh, um, I actually have to go to the bathroom," I lied. "Maybe Bonnie could do it? I won' be long," I promised, disappearing down the hall. 

When I returned Bonnie and Caroline were marvelling at their new accessories. Bonnie was a little more quiet than Caroline, which was normal, but something didn't feel right. "Bonnie, are you OK?" 
   She nodded slowly, then shook her head. "No."
   I sat down beside her and grabbed her hand, careful not to touch the bracelet. "Bonnie what is it?" I queried.
   "Something weird happened at the Halloween Party," she murmured.
   I felt the colour drain from my face. Bonnie wasn't there, she didn't see Vicki as a vampire and she most definitely did not see Stefan end her life... Did she?
   "What do you mean?" Caroline urged.
   "You know that necklace you gave me?" She asked Caroline. "The orange amulet? Well Damon Salvatore was at the party. He saw me and he tried to take the necklace from around my neck."
   "Ugh!" Caroline groaned, holding her head in her hands. "Damon is such a... I mean he's hot but... Argh! Did he hurt you Bonnie, because-"
   "No," she said quickly, taking Caroline's hand. "No, but something strange happened. When he touched the amulet, his hand... He pulled back so fast. It was like the amulet burned his hand or something." Bonnie shook her head, confused. "Eva, remember when Stefan first gave you that necklace?" I nodded. "The metal burned your skin. It was like that, except Damon didn't look surprised. He looked annoyed, frustrated and angry, but not surprised."
   "Do you still have the amulet?" I croaked.
   Bonnie nodded and opened the drawer in her bedside table. She waved her hand over the open case and the amulet appeared before she picked it up. "It's a spell," she explained as she sat back down. "When I told my Grams what happened she taught me how to cloak things from the naked eye. I've always been suspicious of Damon, especially since what he did to you, Caroline. I figured a cloaking spell wasn't totally ridiculous."
   With trembling hands I reached out for the amulet. If it burned Damon then there was a good chance it had vervain inside of it, but I had to test the theory. Gritting my teeth, I took it from Bonnie's hand, but nothing happened. I exhaled, comfortably inspecting the necklace in my hand. This necklace burned Damon for a reason and I was pretty sure it had something to do with the fact that he was a vampire and Bonnie was a witch. 
   "Where'd the necklace come from?" I asked curiously as I handed it back to her.
   "Grams said it belonged to one of my ancestors, Emily Bennett. Which is also kind of why I asked you guys to come over," she confessed sheepishly. "Dad doesn't know that I'm a witch and I want to keep it that way, but one of the spells I learned about while I was with Grams was a seance. A way to communicate with my ancestors of the past. This amulet belonged to Emily and I want to know why her necklace burned Damon."
   I chuckled nervously, trying to act natural and deter Bonnie from performing a seance. "Don't you think you're overreacting a little bit? Maybe he's got some weird allergy or something."
   "That seems unlikely don't you think? Besides, I've been having these weird dreams. It's Emily, and she's taking me somewhere. I follow her through the forest, wearing the amulet. We stop at the ruined Fell's church in the woods and I give her the amulet. Then there's a ball of fire and I wake up. It's always the same and I have to know what it means. The only problem is I can't perform a seance by myself. If you're not comfortable you don't have to, but I was hoping you guys, as my best friends, might help me."
   I opened my mouth to protest but Caroline jumped in, way too eager. "Of course we'll do it Bonnie! Anything for you, right Eva?"
   Bonnie and Caroline stared at me expectantly, waiting for me to agree. I chewed the inside of my cheek nervously. I had never really been into Bonnie's witch stuff but what's worse was that I knew Damon was a vampire. What if this seance revealed his vampirism to Bonnie and Caroline? That would be really, really bad. For everyone.
   "Eva, you don't have to-" Bonnie started.
   "But you will," Caroline nodded, her eyes wide as though she were trying to send me a message. "Because Bonnie's your best friend and you love her. Right?" 
   Shaking my head, I pursed my lips. "Yeah, sure, why not."