| Chapter 17 |

Chapter Seventeen

* * * * *

"Nathaniel is doing this again?!" Alya exclaimed making me move the phone from my ear. I nodded to my coworkers as I made my way to the elevator.

"Yes! And this time I don't think I'll take any apologies from him. My wrist is bruised because of him," I pressed the twentieth button that would take me to my parent's floor.

Apparently today was the day Gabriel wanted to talk to us. About what? I don't know.

"Wait, he hurt you?" She asked, sounding angry now. Well then...

"He didn't really 'hurt' me, per say. He gripped my wrist hard, bruising it, then I had to push him away, using said hand. My wrist is sprained," I told her, stepping out of the elevator. I then eyes the brace on my hand. "It hurt like a bitch this morning, but Adrien gave me a cream to rub on it then he gave me a brace, so the pain is tolerable, if I don't move my hand too much."

"Your fiance is living up to the title I see," Alya teased making me roll my eyes. Her mood changes so fast that it worries me. "But I'm still pissed at Nath. I'll call him and give him a piece of my mind."

I was about to stop her from doing that when she hung up.

I huffed. Rude.

I stopped in front of my parent's door then opened it and stepped inside. Gabriel and Adrien sat in the usually empty seats that were in front of my parents' desk. I greeted them and took a seat in the empty chair beside of Adrien.

"About time you arrived," My father rolled his eyes and gestured for Gabriel to begin speaking.

For the first time, Gabriel didn't get up to speak. He just sat there, looking very pale. I nudged Adrien, and mouthed 'is he okay?'. Adrien shook his head, a frown on his face.

"This Emma girl is going to be a problem," Gabriel stated, making me raise a brow at him. Adrien, too, was questioning his father's statement.

"Why?" We asked in unison, earning looks from our parents based on our harsh tone.

"Because she is already raising questions. You two have been seen with that girl twice and if they find out that she is from an orphanage, problems will arise, not only for her and the orphanage but for you two as well," He explained, finally standing and pacing. I swear this man can't stay seated. "There are only two ways in which this problem can be solved."

"And they are?" I asked impatiently, my leg bouncing up and down.

"You have to stop visiting that place," My father said and my eyes, along with Adrien's widened simultaneously.

“What?!”

Emma was so fragile right now and for us to tell her that we won't be able to visit her anymore, she'd be devastated. Only the Lord knows what would happen after that, and I know it won't be something good. The other girls would be just as upset.

"She's already attached to us," Adrien argued. "We can't just get up and leave."

"There's an or," My mother suddenly intervened.

"And that is?" I asked anxiously. What was with all this suspense?

"Well it's what every sensible person would do," Gabriel started. "Adopt the girl."