| Chapter 41 |

Chapter Forty-One

* * * * *

A/N: imma give y'all a break from stress, sound good? :-)

p.s: last chapter when Mari threw up, it wasn't because she was pregnant, lol. it was because she felt overwhelmed [and disgusted] by all that was happening (the trial, Luka, the videos). just wanted to let y'all know that Mari and Adrien haven't done anything in that department since waaaaay back in chapter 8. i almost died when i read the pregnancy comments, lmao.

* * * * *

Adrien and I wasted no time to rush into the house to get changed. 

I quickly brushed my teeth, to get rid of the taste of vomit in my mouth and changed out of pants suit and into some jeans and a big sweater. Throwing my hair into a loose ponytail, I rushed out of the room.

Adrien was already downstairs waiting for me, so after locking up, we were on our way to the orphanage.

It was barely brushing three in the afternoon and it would take us about an hour to get to the orphanage and I was practically jumping in my seat.

I saw Adrien glance over at me with a smile. "Excited?"

"Of course!" I exclaimed. "Emma is legally our daughter, Adrien! Of course I'm excited! Aren't you?"

"Of course I am," He answered without missing a beat, briefly taking his eyes off the road to look at me. "I would be jumping in joy right now, but as you can see I am driving."

I shook my head at him, fighting the smile that threatened to make its way onto my face as I rested my head on the closed window.

Excited was definitely an understatement when describing how I felt now. It was as if all sadness and pain that filled my mind an hour was pushed to the back at the mention of Emma. 

We had recently finished decorating her room and I just knew she'd love it. It was still hard to believe that we'd be able to take her home tonight! Unbelievable, really.

After about forty-five minutes of stifling silence, we were parked in front of the orphanage. 

Neither of us made a move to get out of the car. Why? I wasn't entirely sure.

"Damn," I heard Adrien muttered to himself. "I know that we've come this far, but I'm scared."

"Why?" I ended up asking. Adrien rarely lost his cool, so I was curious to why he was scared.

"What if we're not good enough?" He asked, his face clouded with doubt. "I mean, what if we don't have enough time for her? I mean, look at our jobs. Will she grow up and hate us for adopting her? I don't know why these thoughts are just popping up now when we had so long to think about all these things. I-I just want her to have the life she deserves."

This was definitely new to me. Adrien was basically freaking out. I was always the one freaking out and Adrien was always the one to calm me down. This must be really troubling him...

I turned to him and placed my hand on his so he could loosen his death grip on the steering wheel.

"Adrien," I called, but he kept his gaze on his lap. I tried again. "Adrien, look at me."