23

Grayson's POV

"Shane." I say, pushing through his office door and slamming it shut behind me. The sound causes Shane's head to lift as he stands from his desk.

"Look, I get that you're upset. I didn't mean to make her cry, okay? That was never my intention. But you both have to realize the serious nature of the situation." He says.

"And by yelling at her and making her cry, that's supposed to do it? She's a girl, Shane. Don't ever talk to her like that again. I mean, how do I know you aren't going to go off and talk to Sofia like that?" I ask. Truthfully, I don't think that Shane would ever raise his voice to Sofia. Not only would he never want to, but she would absolutely rip him apart if he ever did.

"You know that I would never intentionally make Sofia cry. I hope you know that I would never intentionally make Natalia cry either. It was a mistake. All of this is just a big misunderstanding and I'm sorry that I didn't handle it as well as I should have. That's my fault. However, you both need to own up to your own fault in all of this. I mean, this entire situation has to be addressed." He reminds me. As much as I know that he's right, I still want to do everything in my power to prevent things from falling apart.

"It's not a big deal, Shane. We just need to leave it alone." I argue.

"You were making out with Natalia in your apartment, and then again in your office. I think this is something that has to be addressed, not left alone. You know the policy, Gray." He sighs.

"Okay, and that policy is for the staff, not for me." I point out.

"Okay, and that staff includes Natalia. She can't work as your intern." He says, folding his hands on his desk.

"Yes, she can." I argue.

"No, she can't. It's become too personal, Gray. You two have become too involved with one another. This isn't something that can just be ignored. You two are...well, I don't know what you two are. But what I do know is that you can't just ignore all of the policies just to get your way. She can't work as your intern anymore, and that's final." He says, bringing an end to our conversation.

"So you're just going to fire her? Really?" I spit out, anger filling me quickly. Shane is surprised at my tone of voice, and only chuckles slightly. Although I may not always understand humor, I do know that this particular situation will never be funny to me. 

"Of course not. Listen, I'm pissed off over this but that doesn't mean I'm a monster. Come on, have a little faith in me. I just don't want anyone else to see what's going on. It will instantly be viewed as favoritism and that's something that we can't have in this office, got it? Even if it is the case

"Okay, so what now?" I ask.

"She'll work as my intern. The new intern that I was going to hire for myself will just go to you instead." He says.

"Wait, what? But I don't want a new intern." I say.

"Too bad, buddy boy. You're going to have to get one if you want Natalia to stay upstairs with us." He says.

"This isn't fair." I mutter.

"Life isn't fair. Think of it this way. You still get to stare at your super hot girlfriend during work and also still follow the company dating policy." He smiles.

"She's not my girlfriend." I add.

"Yet." He smiles. "Now, leave my office so I can get Natalia back in here. I have some apologizing to do. As well as inform her of her new position. Well, if she still wants to continue this with you, that is." He shrugs.

I didn't even think of the possibility that after all of this drama, she may not even want to continue whatever this is with me.

"What if she doesn't want to?" I mutter in response.

"Well, then we just move on and find you someone else." He shrugs.

"I don't think I want someone else. Nor do I think I'll find anyone who understands me like she does." 

"Do you think she understands you?" He asks me.

"Yeah." At least, I think she understands me. I don't really even know if I understand myself most of the time. I feel like she knows me better than I know myself at times. Which, isn't a whole lot.

"I think you'll be fine. Now, leave. I need to get back to work and so do you. We have some damage control." He replies, shooing me away.

I leave his office and walk straight to Natalia's. I know that if Shane saw where I was going right now, he would surely stop me. However, I can't stay away. Not right now, at least. I have to at least try and figure all of this out. Every little piece of her I can get, I'll gladly accept.

I see her sitting at her desk with her face staring down at her computer screen. I can tell that she's been crying, but it's not nearly as bad as before. Her usually tan face is slightly pale, and her eyes are still puffy. I clear my throat as I approach, causing her head to shoot up in my direction.

"You probably shouldn't be in here." She says, turning her head back down at her screen.

"I talked to Shane." I say.

"And?" She asks, only glancing up at me momentarily.

"You're not losing your job. You're fine." I say honestly.

"But?" She asks.

"What?" 

"I'm not losing my job, but-" She says, waiting for me to finishing the sentence, I'm assuming.

"You're not losing your job, but you can't be my intern anymore." I sigh.

"What?!" She exclaims. "All because of one stupid kiss?" She nearly yells.

Stupid? Does she actually think that our kiss was stupid? 

"Was it bad?" I ask, wanting to know the truth.

"What?" She asks.

"Our kiss." I say. "Was it bad, I mean?" 

"I...wait, no. No, I just mean that the situation is stupid. Not the kiss itself." She tells me softly.

"Can I ask you something?" I ask suddenly, knowing that now is a better time than ever to do this.

"Yes." She nods.

"Will you go on a date with me?" I ask, feeling my anxiety increase with every millisecond that passes. 

"What?" She asks, "You're seriously asking me out on a date right now? After we almost got fired no more than ten minutes ago?" She asks.

"Well, yeah." I nod.

"Your timing in everything is absolutely atrocious, Grayson. Do you know that?" 

"Well, no. But now I do." I nod in understanding. 

"How can you even think about a date with everything that just happened?" She asks.

"Because all I can think about is the next time I get to kiss you." I say honestly. "Well, if I ever kiss you again, that is." I add. "I'd like to, at least."

"I'm so confused on how you can even be thinking about this. Listen, I can't handle all of this right now. I need to go back to Shane's office and try and figure out where I'm going to be working now. I'll come and find you later so we can talk." She groans, as she walks past me and goes towards Shane's. 

I watch her as she walks away and worry begins to sink in. I really hope above all else, she'll still be here for me when she gets back.