III

On Albus' eleventh birthday, Scorpius was the one who woke him up. "Get up. You have a letter."

"You make me feel special, Scorp." Albus stretched and added, "Almost as special like a nice bump on your head."

"Dad'll tell you off, " Scorpius pouted. He was now nine, but Albus didn't find him any different than when he was younger. He was still quiet, fidgety at times, and he didn't talk to other people much aside from the immediate family he was around almost every day.

Sometimes, Albus wondered if Scorpius would make it without him. Would he even try to talk to new people when he got into Hogwarts? Or would he resort to silence as he often did?

"Not if he doesn't know, " grumbled Albus as he stood. Scorpius quickly left his room and Albus dressed. Luckily, Albus had a summer birthday and Teddy, who worked at St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries, would be at Grimmauld Place.

Bounding down the stairs, Albus waltzed into the kitchen, where his father and Draco were making breakfast. Or rather, Draco was making breakfast while his father burned toast. "I don't understand why we can't just use magic."

"Because, " said Draco, "we have to show a good example."

"I'd rather magic than burnt toast, mind you, " Albus piped up, catching their attention.

"Birthday boy already having an attitude, " Scorpius muttered with a slight smile.

"Birthday boy has a letter, " Harry said, handing Albus the sealed envelope with his own grin. "From the nuthouse that Grandpa teaches at."

"Oh, joy, "

Draco told Albus, "We'll go to Diagon Alley after Scorpius' birthday to get all of your supplies. Do you want jam or marmalade?"

"Jam, " the eleven-year-old answered, sitting down at the chair across from his brother, who replied, "Marmalade."

Casually, Albus drank his orange juice as he looked over the school supplies, asking, "Would it be too much of a trouble to buy me a broomstick now and not have to wait a year?"

"I had one at eleven, " Draco said.

Harry huffed. "Only because you were Dumbledore's favourite. And, no, Albus: no broom until next year."

Albums groaned. "Aw, c'mon! Dad had one! I'll only use it on weekends, how about that?"

"Aren't the games on the weekends?" asked Scorpius, who raised a blonde eyebrow at his brother. "Don't get him one, Dad."

Harry said, "I'm not."

Albus groaned but smiled when Draco set a plate of food in front of him, along with Scorpius. It was quiet, with Scorpius rolling his food around and neither of his fathers talking. Everything felt. . .stiff. . .cold.

There was a knock on the door and Albus said, "I'll get it, " just to get out of the suffocating quiet. He couldn't stand it, as he loved noise. He opened the door, surprised to see a boy around his age, standing next to a girl maybe Scorpius' age. Both had shocking red hair, though the boy's had more brown to it than the girl's, which was strawberry coloured.

"Er, hullo."

"Hi, " the girl said.

"Hello, " the boy said. "We just moved in to. . .the large yellow house down by the lake."

"Oh, " Albus strained his neck, seeing just one blue car. "I'm Albus. I live. . .here." He stuck out his hand like he had seen his father do so many times. He shook hands with the boy as he added, "Albus Potter. A pleasure to meet you."