XXV

When the school year began, Scorpius avoided his brother and Erick at all costs, making him late to his classes. But it didn't matter to him anymore. He was fifteen, but he felt like he was seven again.

The countless bullies that tormented him seemed to sense his misery, making sure to shove him around and knock his things out of his hands at any chance they got. Their words stuck in his head and, no matter what he tried, he heard their voices ringing in his ears.

Retard. No-life. Stupid. Faggot.

But once, in the crowded corridors, one of the older Gryffindor boys shoved Scorpius into the stone wall, calling him as many insulting names as he could. Scorpius didn't stop him, but he wished Violet was with him. She hadn't spoken to him since she and Albus had found out about him and Erick.

As if Scorpius' thoughts had manifested into a physical being, he saw Erick Weasley careening over, his face dangerous. He barely had time to move out of the way when Erick slammed the Gryffindor boy against the wall.

He told him, his voice low, "The next time I see you messing with him, you won't have any arms to shove him with."

"Get out of my face, Weasley, " he snarled. "You don't scare me."

Albus, who had appeared next to Erick, glared at the Gryffindor boy, making him cower. "You're scared of me, Thomson. So back off. Do anything to my brother again and you're dead. Got it?" He added the last part to the congregation watching and they nodded.

Scorpius looked down when Erick turned to look at him. The second bell rang and Erick leaned down, whispering, "I still love you. Tell me if they do anything else, Scorp."

Scorpius pushed him away, not rushing to his class. His heart and head hurt far too much.

When he walked into his dormitory, he was surprised to see Violet there. "Aren't you supposed to be in Muggle Studies?"

"Aren't you?" she countered.

Scorpius nodded. "My head hurts. Why're you here?"

Violet shrugged. "We haven't spoken much in the past few months."

"We haven't spoken at all, Vi."

Violet smiled at the mention of her nickname and looked at Scorp as he sat down beside him. "Why did you quit Quidditch?" she asked, but all she received from Scorpius was a shrug.

"Guess I couldn't handle it, " he murmured, rubbing the back of his neck. "You're still playing, though, right?"

Violet told him, "Of course."

They sat in uncomfortable silence for a while, allowing Scorpius' mind to run. I still love you, Erick had said. But that couldn't be true, could it? Weren't you supposed to stop feeling for somebody once you broke up with them?

His thoughts were interrupted by Violet when she touched the side of his face, turning his face so that he was looking directly at her. "Violet. . ." he began, but his mouth was dry. Every bit of perspiration that was in his mouth went to his eyes as his heart pounded unpleasantly against his sternum. "Vi, I'm---"

She kissed his lips before he could finish. To his surprise, she was quite a good kisser. But she smelled of pine and not of oak. Not of Erick. Her lips were soft, but they didn't part his lips like Erick's did so often. Her hand went to his upper thigh and not to his face or his own hand, like Erick's did.

He pushed her away, his breathing laboured and he rudely wiped at his mouth, trying to erase the feeling of his best friend's lips on his.

Violet furrowed her eyebrows. "Scorp, did you not---"

"No, " Scorpius interjected. "I. . .Violet, I'm sorry, I---" he stopped as tears flowed from his silver eyes. She stood and faced her best friend, tears stinging her own eyes.

"I thought you were just being difficult, " she confessed. "I loved you for years, Scorpius, and Erick knew that. He just wanted to get to you first. That's how he is."

Scorpius wiped at his eyes, telling her, "Just, please, leave me alone. I. . .I can't---"

Violet interjected, "Did you love him? Or do you still love him?"

Scorpius didn't reply.

Violet continued, "You're just afraid, aren't you?"

"Go, " he told her, a new authority in his voice. He pointed to the dormitory door, saying, "Go right now. I---I don't want to see you or hear of you. Get out or I'll get angry."

Violet glared at him. "You cry when you're mad, you arsehole." She left the dorm, leaving Scorpius alone with his tears and his heartbreak.

Thank you for reading! Don't forget to comment and vote!