XLIII

"Is this even a good idea? Me being here? Helping him?" Erick wasn't usually one for nervous jitters, but standing in front of Teddy Lupin. . .it made him a little afraid. Not that he was afraid of the Healer. He wasn't afraid of anything. Except for maybe his father.

Teddy nodded, running his tongue along his teeth. "Yes, it's perfectly fine. It's now or never, you helping him."

"I'm not exactly a state of the art Healer, Teddy. I---I couldn't even tell you how to brew anything for healing."

"That doesn't matter, Erick, " said Teddy, shaking his head and crossing his arms. "It helps me help him. You're---who in the---Dad? Sirius?"

"Hello, Teddy." Sirius grinned cheekily. "And how are you?" The dark-haired man looked over Teddy's shoulder, at Erick. "And who's this? An apprentice?"

Erick began to say "No" but it was interrupted by Teddy, who told the dark-haired man and a brunet with a scarred face, his old professor at Hogwarts. "Yes. This is Erick. He's new around here."

"Er, yes." He gulped. "Yes, I'm the---the new apprentice!" Letting out a nervous chuckle, he scratched the back of his neck.

Teddy cleared his throat. "Erick, this is my dad, Remus Lupin."

Erick turned to the scarred man. "It's good to see you again, Professor Lupin." He shook his hand.

"Erick Weasley." Lupin frowned slightly. "I wouldn't have expected you to be interning here, of all places. What were your aptitudes?"

"Um. . .they met the requirements." He licked his lips. "I---I've been helping around."

Teddy said, "And this is Sirius Black, my father's uh, partner."

"Partner?"

"Not one for labels." The other man, Sirius Black, shook Erick's hand. "But you look familiar. Have we met before?"

"I don't believe so."

"Weasley. . ." Sirius licked his lips, snapping his fingers. "I've heard that name before. Isn't your father Ronald W---"

"I'd rather not speak of my father."

Sirius frowned as Remus said, "He's the exact opposite of Ron, Sirius. Erick here is kind and sensitive, unlike his father."

"Okay, " said Erick, holding his hands up. "Let's not go calling me sensitive, now."

Teddy sighed. "Did something happen, Dad?"

Remus took a breath before saying, "Draco's been at our house since last night. He said that he and Harry had a fight. About Scorpius."

Teddy pinched the spot between his eyes, the roots of his hair flaring a violent red. "Look, there isn't really anything I can do. I told him that and he still came here to negotiate. I can try and talk to Scorp and see if he wants to see Draco, but I can't promise anything."

Remus let out a breath. "I'm sorry about this, Teddy. Just do your best, okay. Tell him that we love him, okay?"

"I will, Dad." Teddy gave him a quick hug.

Sirius smiled when Teddy gave him a hug, telling him, "You and Oliver still coming over on Friday?"

"Yes, Sirius." Teddy laughed. "I'll see you both then."

When they left, Erick turned to Teddy. "Apprentice, huh?"

"Sorry. It was the best thing I could come up with." He shook his head. "Don't bring that last bit up to Scorp, alright? It'll just make him even more stressed and unwilling. We can't have that. We're so close, Erick."