XLVI

Teddy scratched the back of his neck. "Don't freak out, but. . .I think you need to see Draco."

Scorpius seemed to pause, his silver eyes widening and then narrowing, his pale hands stilling. He licked his lips before beginning to chuckle lightly, his silver eyes remaining on Teddy. He hadn't laughed in a long time and it hurt. Even his head was spinning, making him dizzy.

"You really got me with that one, Teddy." But his laugh petered out when he looked at Teddy. His godfather's face was still, his purple eyes watching him carefully. "You. . .you aren't joking, are you?" he asked, though he already knew the answer.

"No," Teddy replied slowly. In silence, he watched Scorpius' face grow hard and cold, his eyes becoming like the slush that was leftover from Christmas. The kind you wished out melt away but refused to. When he turned away, Teddy added, "Look, I know this isn't---"

Scorpius rounded on him, pointing his finger at Teddy's chest, his molars making an unpleasant noise as they ground together. "You promised that I didn't have to see him."

Feeling his eyes sting, he wiped at them angrily, scowling at Teddy as he repeated, his voice shaking, "You promised." He scooted away from Teddy, wishing he could swallow his tongue.

Scorpius felt the familiar lump forming in his throat when Teddy rested his hand on his shoulder. Scorpius brushed it off, his cheeks burning. "You told me---"

"I know," said Teddy softly. "I'm sorry, Scorp, but you've gotta hear me out---"

"---that I didn't have to see him again," finished Scorpius as if he hadn't been interrupted. Not looking at Teddy, he rubbed at the ache in his chest.

"Hey, let me tell---"

"Please, Teddy. Just shut up," spat Scorpius, glaring at Teddy with his arms crossed. "All of these little games you're playing---" he motioned to his head and then to his arms. "---getting Erick to work here, having D---Draco come here---"

"Scorp." Teddy sighed, holding a hand up. "This is going to just be a trial, okay? Just to see if it helps you at all."

"How would he help me?" questioned Scorpius, his tone somewhere between clipped and curious. "He's the entire reason I'm here in the first place!"

With a slight sigh, Teddy said, "He isn't, Scorpius. Draco did nothing wrong. It's all in your head---that's the thing." He tapped his temple, adding, "The voices you keep hearing---those aren't Draco or Astoria. It's your brain trying to make you think it is so that you---"

"It. . .it's not. . ." Scorpius trailed off weakly, trying to swallow the lump in his throat. He wanted to squeeze his eyes shut and just disappear, maybe go to Teddy's flat to see if Erick were there, just to hide there in his oak and pine-scented blankets and feel his arm around his waist, his breath on the back of his neck. But he was here. Not with Erick, but with Teddy, discussing Draco.

"So," he said curtly, "you said all of that just to shut me up?"

"No."

"I'm not stupid, Teddy." He clenched his fists, fighting to keep his voice steady as he spoke. "You---you've got to be kidding. Even if you don't believe me, I know what he did."

"Scorpius---"

"What the hell is wrong with you anyway?" he asked harshly, his mouth set in a firm line. "You promised, you're even going to try and have Erick convince me, I bet. Am I wrong?"

Teddy said nothing. He couldn't deny it.

"Yeah," Scorpius whispered. "That's what you all do---lie and tell me I'm crazy so that you can just forget about me. Just go and do whatever you have to do for the real psychos."