XXVI

Erick hated the summer holidays. He used to like them when Scorpius let him into his room, allowing him to spend the night after his father made him angry or hurt him.

But he never really wanted to bother Albus with his personal problems. Then again, he knew about what Erick's father would do when his anger got the best of him.

But, one July night, Erick came into the den, where Violet was tuning her Wizarding Wireless Radio. He stood with his arms crossed and a scowl on his face.

"What?" she said, not looking at him.

Erick asked, "Why'd you kiss him?"

Violet looked at him, her namesake-coloured eyes wide. "How did you---"

"So you did,"

Violet swallowed, frowning deeply before pointing out, "You should be happy. Now you know he doesn't like girls."

Erick stood his ground, glaring at his younger sister. She was sixteen now and it made him sick how much she behaved like their mother. But she idolized their parents while Erick didn't. She didn't know what their father did to Erick behind locked and silenced doors.

"I don't care," he told her, waving an impatient hand. "You shouldn't have even kissed him. You know what happened and you just went and---"

Violet interjected, "He ended it with you, Erick. And it isn't like he takes the time to talk to you as if you're on good terms."

"So?" Erick asked hotly. "You've talked to him, right?" Violet shrugged. "Does he. . .ask about me?"

"Not at all," she answered.

"You're just doing this to make me mad," he hissed. "You didn't make a move, so I did. You didn't try, so I did."

Violet glared at him and opened her mouth to say something else, but there was another voice from the doorway. "Erick, just because you're a faggot and have a way to attract them doesn't mean you---"

"Shut up!" Erick roared, turning to face his father. "Just shut up right now!"

Ronald Weasley scowled at his son. They were nearly the same height now. Erick was catching up nicely. "You're the most incompetent boy I've ever known---and I used to be friends with Harry Potter."

Violet muttered in a sing-song voice, "Yeah, isn't Scorpius Malfoy related to him?"

Erick shot her a hard look as Mr Wealsey said, "Yes, he is. Isn't he, Erick?" His son remained silent as he continued, "Merlin, you have a knack for finding them, don't you?"

Erick growled, "What the fuck do you mean by them, you son of a bitch?"

If his father had been fazed by the comment, he didn't show it. Instead, he tilted his head to the side. "You know what I mean, Erick."

"Enlighten me." Erick held his arms out in a sarcastic gesture.

"Faggots like you, that's what I mean."

Erick snarled, "Whatever. I don't give a fuck."

Ron scowled and, without warning, punched Erick in his face. There was a sickening crack that was possibly caused by Erick's now broken nose. He groaned and stumbled back as Violet let out a surprised gasp.

Of course, being his parents favourite meant that she wasn't going to know anything of Ronald Weasley's abuse towards his only son as a way to make his son obedient.

With a groan, Erick took a step forward, his fists raised. "I hate you."

Ron shoved his son, telling him, "You're nothing, you know that? Nothing at all." He hit him again and Erick whimpered and sobbed, curling into the fetal position to try and keep his head and ribs safe. "Do you fucking hear me, Erick?!"