XXVIII

Over the next year, Scorpius secluded himself to his room more and more often, hardly ever giving his family the pleasure of seeing him.

Teddy came over a few times during that year. Even though Scorpius was only there for Christmas and the summer holidays, Teddy often tried to engage in conversation.

However, Scorpius would mutter a weak, "Hello. Sorry, I've got to study, " before going back up to his room.

Over the past year, he had changed. He had grown a bit taller, but not much. Teddy, Albus, and his parents were still taller than him. Well, not Harry. He was a few inches shorter than Scorpius.

Scorpius' blonde hair had grown a bit longer, flopping over the top of his ears. From lack of sunlight, Scorpius' once white-blonde hair had turned into a sandy colour. His grey-blue eyes were more grey somehow.

Whenever he snuck downstairs to get food, he would walk past Draco and Harry's room, eavesdropping on their conversations.

"I don't get it, " Draco said, his voice muffled through the door. "He's worrying me."

Harry said, "I'm sure he just needs space."

Scorpius heard Draco huff. "That's what you always say. He acts like he doesn't even want to be here. What if something's wrong with him? Albus told us that there were bullies a while ago. What if---"

"Draco, " Harry interjected, "he's a kid. Kids go through phases. It'll pass, most likely."

Scorpius left before he could hear them continue. He grabbed a small snack, frowning when Albus was rummaging through the fridge.

"Hey, Scorp, " he said. Scorpius turned his head away, crossing his arms. "Hey, man, are you okay? You're---"

"Yeah, " he muttered. "Yeah, I'm fine."

Before Albus could ask any more questions, Scorpius grabbed a drink and walked upstairs. His head pounded with the familiar migraine as he chewed the crackers he had grabbed.

At his desk, he brushed off the scattered wrappings and cans, grimacing as they hit the floor. Usually, he hated having his room a mess, but he seemed to stop caring. He didn't have a reason to clean it and he didn't need one.

Scorpius hugged his arms and, with one hand, he rubbed his forearm absently. He wiped at his eyes, which always seemed wet now.

Days passed and Scorpius hadn't left his room for food. He felt hungry, of course, but he knew he couldn't have kept it down too long.

There were a few sharp knocks on his door and Draco's voice called, "Hey, uh, Scorp? Teddy's coming over for dinner in a few hours." When Scorpius didn't reply, Draco added, "And I want you to come downstairs, alright?"

"No, I've got to study, " he lied.

"Scorpius Malfoy, you're going to set aside time to spend with your family. Studying isn't everything."

Scorpius let out a quiet groan. He was seventeen and he certainly needed to study for his N.E.W.T exams that were to be held in May. He chewed his thumbnail absently, staring at nothing in particular.

In his head, he heard Astoria Greengrass' voice say, Oh, isn't Teddy so nice?

"Sure, " Scorpius replied. "He's alright, I guess."

Distractedly, Scorpius scratched the tip of his quill into the wood of his desk. Frowning, Scorpius looked down at the finger length scar in the wood.

When there were more knocks at his door, he jumped. Glancing at his watch, he blinked. How had hours passed? All he had been doing was scratching at his desk.