X

November was coming to a close as Erick grew impatient. He had never been in a relationship, but he had surely been around with other blokes. They were all either stupid or desperate to let their first kisses and first times be with him.

Erick tapped the end of his quill against the tabletop in the library as he tried to think. Unfortunately, Albus had just begun one of his rants. ". . .and don't even get me started on her hair. She thinks it has to be perfect, Merlin's beard!"

"Maybe if you told her it looked nice."

Albus shook his head. "Can't be saying that to a girl that isn't my girlfriend. Sophie would actually kill me. How're you and Mystery Boy?"

"Fine, " Erick answered curtly.

Albus looked at him. "Really? Is that why you're in a mood? Is he not sleeping with you?"

Erick made a sound deep in his throat as Albus chuckled. "Shut up."

"What did I do?!"

Erick glared at his parchment. "This is hardly the sort of thing you talk about in the library."

"So what?" Albus asked. "I know you don't care."

"It's just that he's so. . .so. . ." related to you. Innocent, Erick finished in his mind. "He's just so young that I don't want to mess it up."

Albus pointed out, "Two years isn't a big difference."

"It is when he's just fourteen, " grumbled Erick under his breath.

"Look, " Albus told him, folding his hands together. "Maybe if you ask him to sleep with you, he may."

"Yeah, can't wait to have my fill in a broom cupboard, " Erick said with a roll of his eyes.

"It's not like anyone is awake at two in the morning!"

Erick huffed, "Well, now it's just stupid. Whatever. Just leave it."

Scorpius and Violet were sitting on his bed in the Gryffindor dormitories. Violet Weasley, an aspiring designer, was looking through Witch Fashion Magazine while Scorpius hugged one of his pillows.

"Don't your fathers know anything about fashion?"

"Er, " Scorpius thought for a moment before saying, "no. Harry sort of. . .dresses nicely, I guess. But no."

Violet sighed. "Oh well. Too bad you don't have a sister."

"Hey, I'm good company."

Violet grinned. "I guess so."

Scorpius settled on his bed, his pillow over his chest as Violet lay down next to him. "Do you think that we can be whoever we want?"

"Of course."

"Even if we screw up somehow?"

Violet glanced at him. "What did you do?" she asked slowly.

Scorpius shook his head and said, "Nothing. But. . .I've just been thinking. Not too good, yeah?" He laughed quietly, though nothing funny was going on. "I don't want to be like my father. Or Harry."

"Why not? They aren't that bad, are they?" Violet asked. Scorpius shook his head. "Then how come you don't want to be like them? What do you mean?"

Scorpius brought his pillow up to his mouth, muffling his words. "What if I just can't live up to his name? I mean, yeah, Quidditch has it going for me, but I'm definitely not outgoing. Or---"

"Stop that right now, " his best friend told him sternly. "You don't have to be like your father to be a good person, Scorpius Malfoy."

"But he's, like, the perfect---"