XXXII

Scorpius' eyes flew open and he shot up in a sitting position. He ran a hand through his hair and looked to his left, noticing that Erick wasn't there.

Licking his lips to relieve them of their dryness, Scorpius rubbed his eyes. Usually, his sleep was broken up, making him wake every few hours. But, with Erick, he had gotten the best sleep in a year.

"Oh, you're up."

Scorpius looked up from his hands, smiling at Erick, who had stepped out of the bathroom, a towel in his hands. He rubbed his hair with it and hung it around his shoulders.

"Yeah, " Scorpius said.

"Did you sleep alright?"

"Uh, yeah, " he replied. "I often don't."

"Oh?" Erick said, sitting on the edge of his bed, his hand reaching for Scorpius'. "Why not?"

The blonde shrugged and didn't answer. Instead, he asked, "Is it okay if I take a shower here?"

"Uh, yeah, sure. Do you want anything to eat? I'm not sure what I've got in stock, but I can order takeaway if you want."

"I'm fine, " Scorpius told him with a shake of his head. Before Erick could counter his decision, Scorpius grabbed his backpack and rushing into the washroom and turned on the overhead faucet, letting the water steam and fog up the mirror before he took off his clothes and stepped under the scalding water.

Erick hadn't questioned him too much. Scorpius was grateful for that.

With a shudder, he remembered how horrible Albus had looked last night. The bruises looked terrible and, worst of all, he hadn't even been given the chance to hear the rest of Harry's and Draco's conversation.

Scorpius shuddered as he remembered how nice Erick's lips felt against his skin. How nice his hands felt in his hair. . .

The water ran cold and Scorpius quickly stepped out, dressing in sweatpants and a sweatshirt. He opened the door and went to the kitchen, where Erick was placing a bag labelled with Tim's Food and Drug on the table. "Hey!" he said. "I wasn't sure what you liked, but---"

"I told you I wasn't hungry."

Erick looked down at the bag. "I, uh. . .between you and me, Tim's isn't the best place for breakfast. Who knows? Maybe the food's poisoned." He chuckled and shrugged. "Ah, well, we can save it for later."

Scorpius frowned. "If this isn't a safe neighbourhood, why're you living here?"

"It's the only place I can afford. And I can hardly afford this place."

Scorpius asked, "Doesn't your father pay for all of your things?"

Erick's expression hardened as he replied cooly, "No. He doesn't."

Scorpius frowned and frowned when Erick turned away, buying himself with a glass of gin. "Hey, wasn't that almost empty yesterday?"

Erick shrugged. "So? It's a new bottle."

"Isn't it too early for that?"

Erick looked at him and furrowed his eyebrows. "It's nearly four."

Scorpius frowned and looked down at his watch. "Oh." He looked back up. "How much of that stuff do you have?"

"A few bottles. Albus keeps the stronger stuff here. Want some?"

"Sure, " Scorpius answered uneasily. Before last night, he hadn't drunk more than a sip or two of alcohol on special occasions. But. . .Albus drank often, apparently. Albus always turned it down whenever somebody at home offered it.

Erick put some in a glass and handed it to Scorpius, who drank it tentatively. He winced at the strong taste but he looked up at Erick. "This is. . .interesting."

Erick chuckled. "Ah, it's not too bad when you get used to it."

Scorpius went and sat down on the couch, taking both his glass and the bottle with him. Erick sat down beside him, his hand snaking around Scorpius' waist. "Are you sure you aren't hungry?"

"Yep." Scorpius drained the glass and Erick filled it back up. "Can you kiss me, maybe? I think I missed that the most."

Erick smiled as he leaned close, capturing Scorpius' lips in his own in a quick kiss. "You're unbelievable, you know that?"

"Thanks, " Scorpius whispered as he drank. He continued to drink but, after a few generous glasses, his blood felt like lead and his mouth moved without his consent, but he didn't seem to care.

Erick, who hadn't been watching him, turned to face Scorpius, whose hand crawled up the back of Erick's hair, resting in his rust-coloured hair.

In a slurred and drawn-out voice, Scorpius murmured loudly, "I choked him."

"What?" Erick laughed in disbelief. "Who?"

"At least, I think I did. . .I dunno."

Erick ruffled Scorpius' not-so-blonde hair. "You're a bit cute when you're drunk."

"I'm serious!" whined Scorpius, bringing his hand down from Erick's hair. "I'm a fugitive, I'm sure of it!"

Erick took the glass away from him. "Here. . .maybe you've had too much."

Scorpius glared at him. "Don't tell me what to do, Erick. You and Albus drink a lot. Why can't I?"

"Because you're too good for that."

Scorpius scoffed and rested his head on Erick's shoulder. "Am not. I'm horrible."

Erick patted his arm affectionately. "C'mon, now. You're wonderful. A perfect ace in the hole."

Scorpius sighed. "Says you. . .you're so nice, you know. And you're strong. . .and everyone loves you."

Erick shook his head at Scorpius' drunken conversation. "Shh, " he said. "Close your eyes, okay?"

Scorpius did so, but he kept talking. "D'you and Albus have a problem?"

"No."

"How come?"

"It takes a lot for us to get drunk. Unlike you."

Scorpius made a soft laughing sound, but it wasn't a nice laugh. It was executed in more of a mocking tone.

"What?" Erick asked.

Scorpius, with his eyes still closed, said, "Nothing. Just that, when I leave, I'm sure it'll be another two years before we see each other again. And, even then, you'll be in a casket after getting alcohol poisoning with a bunch of other blokes. That's what you do, isn't it? Screw around other guys?"

Erick knew that Scorpius was drunk, but it didn't alleviate the hurt he felt at that comment. "No. I haven't been with anyone since you broke up with me."

"Thanks, " Scorpius murmured. "I feel special. Did you tell them that?"

Erick kissed his forehead. "Go to sleep, Scorp." The blonde boy was soon snoring quietly and Erick disentangled himself from Scorpius' arms. He gathered all of the empty and half-full glasses and went to the kitchen sink, where he dumped them all out. He dumped out the rest of the bottles, wishing Scorpius didn't think he was messing him around.

He didn't want Scorpius to think that everything they had done together was another game to Erick. He had been devastated when Scorpius ended their relationship and he hadn't been with anyone since then.

He threw all of the empty alcohol bottles away, sighing. "Oh well."

Thank you for reading! Don't forget to comment and vote!