XL

It seemed like Erick and Scorpius had only been talking for a few minutes when the door opened. Scorpius whipped his head around, his grey-blue eyes landing on Teddy, whose hand was on the door handle. "Hey, you two."

Scorpius mumbled, "Hi, Teddy" as Erick said, "Hey."

Teddy shifted his weight from foot to foot, reminding Erick of Violet. His heart ached, but it was driven away when Teddy began to speak again. "I'm sorry to say, but visiting hours are over."

Erick looked down at his watch. "Oh, man." It was nearly four. He gave Scorpius a tight hug, telling him softly in his ear, "I'll come again soon. I promise, okay?"

" 'Kay, " whispered Scorpius, his voice sensing a soft vibration through Erick's chest.

"Trust Teddy, will you? Talk to him."

"Okay."

Erick pulled away, his hand cupping the back of Scorpius' head. The younger boy winced as Erick touched a lump. Moving his hand a little lower, he said, "I mean it. Look, I'll come again soon, but you have to talk to him. That's the only way this'll work."

"Okay," Scorpius deadpanned, folding his hands in his lap. He turned so to his profile, his lips in a firm line.

Patting him on the shoulder, Erick told him, "I'll see you soon." He stood, his hand lingering on Scorpius' shoulder for a moment. "Can you walk me down, Teddy? The corridors all look the same."

"Sure, " the healer said. He faced Scorpius' back, telling him, "I'll be back in a bit to bring your supper, Scorp."

The blonde didn't say anything, but he sighed, his shoulders slumping. Erick gave him a lasting look before Teddy closed the door. Leading Erick down the corridor, he asked, "Did you get through to him?"

"I think so, " he replied, licking his lips. "He. . .well, he told me a few things, if not everything. And I got him to eat his lunch."

Teddy sighed. "I doubt he told you all of it. What'd he tell you?"

Erick took a breath. "I---I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but he told me that he heard voices. And he told me that it was hard. Being here, I mean."

Teddy nodded, showing that he was listening.

Erick continued, "He didn't seem to really want to talk to me, though."

Inside the lift, Teddy pressed the button for the ground floor. He asked Erick, "Where are you living?"

"Lambeth."

"That's pretty far out." When Erick turned away, Teddy said, "Would you mind sticking around for a little while? Just until after I speak to Scorpius? After I do, I can tell you when you can visit again and what I need you to talk to Scorp about."

Erick nodded. "Sure. I'll stay in the lobby, then."

Teddy smiled and gave him a pat on the arm before taking the lift back upwards with a plate of warm food. In Scorpius' room, he pulled up the desk chair, sitting across from the blonde, who bit his knuckles. The plate sat untouched by Scorpius.

"Hey."

"Hi, " replied Scorpius, frowning at the plate. He looked at Teddy, asking, "Erick left?"

Teddy nodded. "He's a good lad, isn't he?"

"Yeah." Scorpius looked at Teddy, sighing.

Teddy asked, "How long've you two known each other?"

Scorpius licked his lips. "Since I was eleven. He---he was Albus' friend from his first year."

Teddy grinned and wiggled his eyebrows, saying, "He seems to be more than Albus' friend to you." Scorpius shrugged, his jaw clenched, his molars grinding together unpleasantly. Teddy moved on, saying, "Erick mentioned you were hearing voices. Why didn't you tell me they were getting worse?"