XXIII

Seven days is how long Erick had been trying to get through to Scorpius Malfoy. Seven days is how long ago he spoke a word to Erick aside from, "I'm not in the mood. Go hang out with Albus or something."

Of course, after days of trying to talk to Scorpius, Erick eventually stopped with a heavy heart. If Scorpius didn't want to talk to him, there was nothing he could do.

He hung around Albus mostly, trying not to think of Scorpius Malfoy at all. But, when Albus asked, "Hey, what's been going on with him? He hardly comes out of his room and he hasn't said much at meals. Did. . .did something happen? Between you two?"

Erick shook his head. "No, I. . .he won't talk to me."

Albus frowned, but he put the subject aside. But Erick couldn't help but think about his best friend's brother.

Meanwhile, Scorpius lie on his bed, staring at his ceiling. Sure, Erick had tried to talk to him. Sure, there was only one thing to do. He didn't want his dads finding out about him.

So, when he heard Albus' boisterous voice and the click of a shutting door, he jumped off of his bed, rushing to his door. He opened it and grabbed Erick's wrist as he passed, saying, "I need to talk to you."

"Uh, bye, Albus. I'll talk to you later."

Scorpius pulled him into his room, letting his eyes close as Erick wrapped him in his arms. Always, he loved that feeling. Especially on the night atop the Astronomy Tower after the Christmas Ball last year.

But he opened his eyes when Erick's lips brushed his. Scorpius pulled away and out of Erick's arms, saying, "We can't be together anymore."

"What?" Erick asked, his tone clipped and his brown-blue eyes wide.

Scorpius dipped his head. "Please, Erick, I don't want to repeat it."

"Why do you suddenly want to end it, Scorp?"

Scorpius rubbed his temples, the backs of his eyes burning. "I. . .it's not sudden."

"What do you mean?"

Scorpius shook his head and hugged himself. "Erick---"

"Why are you saying this?"

"I love you, "

Erick scoffed, "You have a funny way of showing it." He crossed his arms. "What brought this all on? What did I do?"

Scorpius bit down on his lip. "You didn't do anything."

Erick threw his hands in the air as he said, "Well, nothing was wrong until Albus found out!"

"Shh!" Scorpius hissed, pushing Erick away. He hadn't seen Erick angry before and he didn't like how crazed Erick's eyes looked. "Do you want them to hear?"

"They aren't even here!" shouted Erick, "They left over an hour ago!"

Scorpius scowled. "Get out."

Erick took a steady breath and glared at Scorpius, saying, "Tell me why. You owe me that."

"I don't owe you anything, Erick."

Erick ran a hand through his red-brown hair, taking another breath. Was this how the countless guys he threw aside felt? Like they could hardly breathe? Like they were breaking? "Scorpius. . ." he whispered, stepping close to the blonde. "Please. . ."

"I love you, Erick. But I can't do this. Not anymore."

Erick's anger rise again, making the blood in his head pound. "Tell me---"

"Leave!"

Erick clenched his fists and his jaw, making his face contort. "You must think you're doing the right thing. Don't you? Yeah, I'll bet you feel really good right now."

Scorpius looked down. "I thought we could be mature about this. . ."

"I'm not going to try with someone who hates me."

"I don't hate you, "

"Could have fooled me, " Erick sighed. He put his hand on the doorknob, hesitating before telling Scorpius, "You know, I. . .I love you." But he slammed the door shut.

He left quickly, nearly running into Albus on his way out. They stood in front of each other in silence until---

"Merlin, " Albus whispered, "I'm sorry."

Erick shook his head. "I'm not going to be with him if he doesn't feel the same way. I'm not that persistent."

Albus put a hand on his shoulder and led him downstairs, where Albus told him, "Listen, maybe he's just. . .I'm sure he doesn't mean it. He loves you."

"Yeah, " Erick said, letting out a very unfunny laugh. "He told me that multiple times as he broke up with me."

"Merlin, I'm sorry, man, "

"Don't be, " Erick told him through a sigh. "It was bound to happen, especially with all of the bad karma I've accumulated."

Swiftly, Erick made up an excuse to leave, going back to his father's home. All the way back, his mind kept wandering back to Scorpius. No, Erick wasn't going to stay with Scorpius if that meant getting hurt.

He was cowardly like that. If I wasn't such a bad person, he told himself as he walked through the front door, closing it quietly behind him, Scorpius would still want to be with me. But. . .he knows about the rest of them, and they seemed to draw the short stick, getting stuck with me.

In his room, he found Violet sitting on his bed. "You got your wish, " he told her, "he ended it with me. He's all yours now."

Violet frowned. "I haven't spoken to him in a week. What makes you think that I wanted you two to break up."

Erick sneered, "Because you were so angry about us being together. Now you get him. Now get out so that I can cry."

"You aren't going to cry, " Violet said. "You're just going to find someone else to screw around. He must've found out."

"Jokes on you, "  snarled Erick, "he already knew last year. When you were busy fantasizing, I was---"

"Okay!" Violet said. "I'm leaving!"

She left and Erick sat down on his bed. If Violet suspected that Erick was going to run off with another bloke. . .she was dead wrong. But. . .that must have said something about his character, didn't it?

He sighed heavily, lying on his bed. "Damn."

Thank you for reading! Don't forget to comment and vote!