XVIII

The summer came quickly for Scorpius. His birthday was a few weeks sooner than Albus' and he would be turning fifteen. He was excited to hear that Teddy would be coming down to Yorkshire for both him and Albus' birthdays.

He was especially excited to hear that Erick would be coming around as well.

On Scorpius' birthday, Albus woke him up, complaining that the later he slept in, the more burnt the pancakes would be. Scorpius got dressed quickly in dark blue jeans and a sky-blue shirt. He walked into the kitchen, grimacing at the burnt smell that occupied the air.

As he sat down at the table, Draco told him, "Fifteen! Can you believe it?"

Scorpius mumbled an answer under his breath, not looking at his father. He ran his forefinger along an L-shaped crack in the table, caused by when Albus deemed it reasonable to jump from the cabinet and land on his side onto the table.

Albus said wistfully, "Man, I remember when I was your age. . ."

"Oh, shut up, " Scorpius said. "You're barely two years older than me."

"Ah, yes, but I was born first."

"You're insufferable, " grumbled Scorpius as there was a knock at the front door. He offered to get it and, when he did, he grinned widely and said, "Nice haircut."

Erick grinned and ran a hand through his rust-coloured hair. "Thought you'd like it, sweetheart."

Scorpius blushed and asked, "Would you like to come in or are you just gonna stand there?"

Erick's grin grew when he pulled a wrapped box from behind his back, handing it to Scorpius. "This is for you."

"Oh, you didn't have---"

"Just take it, " Erick grinned, giving Scorpius a kiss. "You can open it later if you want."

Scorpius muttered, "I'll just bring it upstairs. . .Albus is in the kitchen."

Erick gave him a wink and walked into the kitchen, calling, "Hey, Albus! Want a kiss?"

Scorpius heard Albus roaring with laughter, instantly frowning. He brought the wrapped gift up to his room, setting it on his desk. He felt the urge to open it and he did so, making sure to do it quietly.

When he took apart the box, the air rushed from his lungs when he saw what it was; the first thing he saw was a framed photo of the two of them, with Scorpius smiling at Erick, who was puckering his lips in a joke. In the photograph, the two of them collapsed in a fit of giggles. Faintly, Scorpius wondered how Erick had gotten a picture of them. He had never pulled out a camera.

Scorpius set the photo on his desk and saw that there was a small note that read in Erick's untidy scrawl, You seem to like pressing your face against my chest. Here's a sweatshirt that I've drenched in my cologne. Enjoy!

Scorpius smiled to himself as he pulled the grey sweatshirt out of the box, ignoring how wrinkled it was. When there was a knock on his bedroom door, he put it back in the box along with the photo. He shoved the box under his bed before opening the door.

"I thought you might like some breakfast before your brother eats it all, " Draco said with a smile when he saw his youngest son. He handed him a plate and, when he didn't take it, he added, "Violet's downstairs and Teddy's just arrived. Here, eat this."

Scorpius said, "Not hungry, " and pushed past his father before he could protest. Draco stood there for another few minutes, unsure of what to do. With a bit of a desperate air, Draco followed Scorpius downstairs.

He was just about to go into the kitchen, where Scorpius was when he felt someone grab his hand. He was pulled sideways into the study where Harry kept all of his painting supplies and equipment. He looked down, seeing Harry's grin and his emerald eyes gazing up at him.

" 'Lo, Harry, " Draco said, "You've eaten all of the pancakes, haven't you?"

"Ah, no, " said Harry with a sheepish grin. "I've burnt all of those motherfuckers. I gave one to Erick, who didn't know any better. I asked him to taste it and he did. Took all of his courage to tell me they were good."

Draco chuckled as Harry laughed, delighted with his own evilness. He bent down, trailing his lips along Harry's neck. "Remember when you pulled me into the broom cupboard and apologized to me? Back at Hogwarts."

"Yeah, " Harry breathed in his ear. "Remember when I started to cry in Myrtle's bathroom when you said Filch was coming?"

Draco rolled his eyes and straightened himself. "You weren't crying. You sort of whined. Malfoy, I don't wanna be caught! But whinier."

Harry hit his arm playfully and said, "Do that again and I'll hit you harder. In the face."

"You wouldn't dare, "

Harry raised an eyebrow and said, "Are you sure about that? I said that to Weasley once and he got his arse beat. Remember our fifth year?"

Draco grinned as he kissed him on his lips. He heard a bark from the kitchen and shook his head. "Teddy and his dog, I swear. Sometimes, I miss how quiet Snuffles was."

Harry shuddered. "I hope it doesn't shed."

Draco chuckled and held Harry's hand, saying, "We should probably see what's going on. And, Harry?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you, "

Harry smiled and kissed Draco's jaw, telling him softly, "I love you too."

In the kitchen, Scorpius asked Teddy from his spot on the floor, where he was scratching a beautiful border collie behind its ears, "What's her name?"

"Lucy, " Teddy said proudly. "But Sirius calls her Snuffles 2.0."

Scorpius wrinkled his nose. "Your flat allows animals?"

"Yeah, " Teddy replied. "The flat I have in Harlow allows dogs."

Erick leaned over in his chair, scratching the dogs head. "I've always wanted a dog."

Scorpius told him, "Harry hates dogs. I reckon he's scared of them."

"Am not, " a voice said from the sink. Erick chuckled and Harry added, "How was that pancake, Erick?" His chuckle died away.

Scorpius grew quiet again when Draco entered the kitchen. Teddy narrowed his purple eyes but shook off the odd feeling when Violet said, "Erick doesn't care. He eats anything anyway. Don't know how he's so fit."

Erick looked at her before saying, "You're just jealous. When you're as good a Chaser as me, you get in shape easily."

Violet rolled her eyes. "I dunno. Aren't Seekers more fit? I'd bet Scorpius has a bit of muscle."

Scorpius blushed and suggested, "Let's talk about something else, huh?"

Thank you for reading! Don't forget to comment and vote!