XII

The Christmas Ball arrived sooner than Scorpius expected. He had Violet help make him a mask, though he didn't tell her who his date was. Instead, he told her that it was a Ravenclaw girl.

Violet, always excited about this sort of thing, got really excited, making his indigo mask have elaborate swirls that moved in a soft, buttery yellow colour.

With her wand, Violet created the same swirls and patterns on Scorpius' indigo dress robes. "You know, you should introduce me to her."

"Er, maybe, "

"What's her name?"

"Katie."

Violet looked up at him.

"Sullivan. Katie Sullivan."

Violet smiled softly and said, "Are you excited? It's tomorrow night. Oh, you have to invite me over over the holiday break and we can talk all about it!"

"Yeah, okay." Scorpius told her, "I'm excited to wear the robes you ruined---" she glared at him. "---er, I mean made better."

Violet held up her masterpiece, looking at Scorpius for a long time before saying, "You're sure you don't want me to come and, well I dunno, hang around?"

"I'm sure, Vi, "

Violet pouted and continued her work while Scorpius sat on his bed, staring into the void that blocked him off. She knew he was hiding something, but she couldn't put her finger on it. "Have your fathers written? Do they know you're going to the Christmas Ball?"

"No, " Scorpius told her, "they don't need to know about my personal life."

Violet frowned and asked, "Why not?"

Scorpius turned to her, angry. She winced a bit, not expecting such raw anger from her usually calm best friend. "I don't need them. It's not like I'm in fucking need."

"Well, I don't know why you're so angry, Scorpius. I didn't mean to---"

"Whatever, it's fine." Violet opened her mouth to try and talk to Scorpius, but he laughed as if he were joking. "Kidding. They know, of course."

Violet gazed at him sceptically, but let it slide eventually. It just wasn't in her heart to ask Scorpius if he was truly alright.

וווווווווווווו×

The next night, Scorpius put on his altered dress robes, putting the mask on his face and admiring himself in the mirror. Violet had done a wonderful job with her swirl designs.

He made his way downstairs quickly, standing off to the side in the Great Hall. He waited patiently for Erick, glancing occasionally at his watch.

"Hello, darling, " a sultry voice said in his ear. Scorpius grinned as he looked up at Erick, who looked wonderful in his grey mask. It made his brown-blue eyes pop attractively. "Hope you weren't waiting too long."

"No, not at all, " he said shyly, "but you look great."

"You look delicious." Erick winked and Scorpius blushed. "But, let's put that aside for a while, shall we?"

Scorpius bit his bottom lip as Erick grabbed his hand, leading him to the refreshment table, where Albus drank from the punch bowl with a brunette at his side. "Erick!" his brother said, "How are you, my friend?"

"Albus, go easy on the spiked punch."

Scorpius looked at Erick, who helped himself to the said punch. He handed a cup to Scorpius, who didn't drink yet. Albus looked at him and asked, "Are you Erick's secret boyfriend?"