XXXI

Erick peered at Scorpius, his eyes narrowing in confusion. He didn't remember Scorpius Malfoy having sandy-coloured or hollowed cheeks. And he certainly didn't remember Scorpius wearing sweaters in the middle of summer. He had grown a few inches, now coming up to Erick's eyes.

"Scorpius?"

He looked down, letting his hair fall into his eyes. "Yeah. It's me."

There was the sound of tire screeching, and Scorpius whipped his head around. "Come in, " Erick told him, stepping aside as he opened the door wider. "It's not that safe to be standing about."

Scorpius walked in quickly, looking around Erick's flat. It wasn't too bright inside. In what Scorpius assumed was a substitute for a den, there was a television set that was turned almost all the way down. Across from it was a very small couch with a little coffee table that had a few mugs of what Scorpius assumed was gin by the strong smell.

Off to the left was a kitchen. Well, all there was was a sink and an oven and a miniature fridge, so Scorpius wasn't sure if it should be given the dignity of being called a kitchen. On the counter was a half-empty bottle of a dark liquid.

"Nice flat, " Scorpius told him, holding his hands behind his back.

Erick shrugged. "It's not too bad, I suppose." He asked, "Scorp, why're you here?"

Scorpius looked up at him and thought of his lips against his own. He blushed at the memory. "I---I missed you, " he lied effortlessly. Erick blinked and furrowed his eyebrows. "I wanted to see you again."

Erick crossed his arms. "Then why'd you end it?"

Scorpius looked away. "I just don't want to be out yet and I let that get it me."

Erick frowned. "Do you want a drink?"

Scorpius asked, "Does it have alcohol in it?"

Erick grinned and went to the counter, where the half-full bottle lay. He picked it up and sloshed it around. "If you don't mind. Unless you want some water."

"I'll take it."

Erick smiled to himself, putting a bit in two glasses. He handed one to Scorpius. "Drink up, Malfoy."

"Thanks, " Scorpius muttered. He sipped the strong liquid, wrinkling his nose. "This is awful."

Erick laughed. "Ah, you're of age. Do your dads let you drink?"

Scorpius shook his head and pursed his lips. "Not too much. A sip here and there."

Leaning against the counter, Erick said, "Albus drinks a lot. Says he has to use his Invisibility Cloak to sneak it into his room."

"I didn't know that."

Erick lifted one shoulder in a half shrug. "He told me that he doesn't want to set a bad example. He comes over here so that he doesn't have to worry about someone walking in on him."

"He's an alcoholic?"

Erick shook his head. "No. I think he just likes the rush of it."

Frowning, Scorpius looked into his glass, which was still nearly full. "He never told me that."

Erick told him, "He says that you hardly leave your room. And that he's worried about you. And how you changed a lot."

Scorpius looked away. "Because I'm not eleven anymore. I'm not supposed to act like one." He turned to face Erick, tears welling up in his eyes. "I'm not supposed to act like a kid anymore. I'm seventeen and---"

Erick put a hand on his shoulder and Scorpius melted against it. He didn't realize he had missed Erick this much. The redhead said, "That doesn't mean you can just. . .shut down."