XXXVIII

Scorpius' nerves made his heart pound against his ribs as Teddy drove towards St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. When Teddy parked the car across the street from an abandoned department store building, Scorpius' mouth became extremely dry and he debated on bolting from this situation.

He watched as Teddy gave Oliver a kiss on his cheek, telling him softly, "I'll see you later, alright?"

"Okay, " the caramel-skinned man replied. "I love you."

"Love you too, " Teddy said, opening the driver-side door as Scorpius swallowed. With a slight frown, Teddy opened the car door for Scorpius, who was hugging the duffle bag to his chest, his stomach churning. "C'mon, Scorp."

The blonde gulped and Oliver told him, "Bye, " but Scorpius didn't reply as he got out of the car.

Teddy put a hand on his godson's shoulder, leading him towards the department building. Teddy climbed through a window of the red-bricked building that Scorpius read as Purge and Dowse, Ltd.

Scorpius frowned as he looked around. He had never been to the hospital that he remembered and he expected it to look how Muggle doctor offices looked on television, but he was shocked.

What he assumed was the waiting room was large, filled with rickety-looking wooden chairs. Several witches and wizards seemed normal, pursuing through out of date volumes of Witch Weekly while others sported grotesque disfigurations. There was one man with an elephant's ears, one was gesturing wildly to a witch in green robes and, Scorpius noticed, there was an emblem of a wand crossing a bone over her heart.

Scorpius turned away from the small crowd when a witch sporting two extra arms on her legs narrowed her eyes, looking at his face. Her eyes widened in recognition and Scorpius instinctively shrunk closer to Teddy, who put his hand back on his shoulder.

A stout woman with short blonde hair and blue eyes frowned at Teddy, telling him, "Your shift started a half-hour ago."

"Sorry, " Teddy grinned, waving his wand. His clothes were covered by a set of green Healer robes, complete with a wand crossed by a bone over his heart. "Ran a bit late."

"Really, " the woman replied sourly, her mouth twisting in an unpleasant way. "I would never have guessed."

Scorpius glanced to a nearby sign that read Our Welcome Witch will be happy to assist you! He fought back a scoff.

Teddy led Scorpius to a lift, which he pressed the button with a four on it, telling Scorpius, "There's a children's ward on the third level, along with one for teenagers."

"I'm seventeen."

Frowning, Teddy said, "Would you rather be in one of the adult wards?"

Scorpius shook his head, his hand tightening around the strap of the bag that was on his shoulder. Taking a deep breath as the lift doors opened, Teddy walked beside him, smiling at several small children and Healers.

When Teddy opened the door to a single-person room, he told Scorpius, "I need to take your bag for a little while. Just to check and make sure you don't have anything bad. And I need your wand."

"Anything bad?" Scorpius repeated, frowning. "I've just got clothes in here."

Teddy told him, "I just need to make sure, Scorp. I'll be back with your things in just a few minutes."

With a scowl, Scorpius handed the duffle bag to him and tossed him his wand, his hand shaking behind his back. His journal was in there. Teddy would surely find it and maybe he would even crack the charm and ward keeping it closed.