✔ | 8 - 𝑱𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒂 𝑪𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒄𝒊𝒅𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒆

𝐉𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐚 𝐂𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞

𝐉𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐚 𝐂𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞

- - -
Lay back and groove with mine
You gotta feel that heat

Rock With You
~Michael Jackson
- - -

As far as handling news of all her story monsters being true went, Kat Gilbert was fucking acing it. At least in her opinion.

But some things said otherwise. Like for example, Caroline's face when Kat demanded a snuggle by calling her when she was in the middle of the night. That didn't mean she didn't get a snuggle though. Elena and Jenna were surprised to see Kat go back to her pre-accident version, as if something was lighter in her eyes.

It really was surprising how much a promise could change.

Stefan had taken the next whole day to explain to Kat, what had happened in the lighter times of his life and what the side-effects of vampirism were. She was particularly thrilled with the 'vamp-whoosh' as she liked to call it. But compulsion.... not so much.

"Did you go to Tanner today?" Kat narrows her eyes at air as she walks back home with two bags of groceries in her right hand and her phone manoeuvred carefully between her left fingers and her ear. She just got her bandage removed a while ago and honestly, it was a relief that she won't have to wear it to the Founders' Party that night. It was also called the Park Night Dance probably because they couldn't come up with anymore ideas to name one of the few thousand occasions people chose to get drunk.

"No... Damon did" Stefan sighs on the other end of the line. 

"Stefan... that means he compelled Tanner to believe he was attacked by a mountain lion!" she whisper-yells and sits on the bench with a relieved roll of her shoulder joints. "Well... At least Tanner's leaving town, did you know that the—"

"Shh" he cuts her off.

Kat freezes in the middle of her hyperventilating episode at the side of a road metres away from her house "...He's around isn't he?"

Stefan just hums, making her fume "I know you can hear me Damon, and I can't wait to look you in the eye and get rid of you. Stay away from Caroline!" she snarls and cuts the call. Staggering onto her feet, she enters her own house to see Jenna glaring at the TV.

Everything in the house had gone back to normal after Kat had returned to her mother hen bickering. They offered to sign her up to therapy, but there was only so much Kat could tell the school therapist before he would burst out laughing. So she denied.