ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ ᴛᴡᴏ - 𝑩𝒆𝒕𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑩𝒆 𝑾𝒐𝒓𝒕𝒉

[Episode 12 - Children of the Damned - 1]

It's 1864, and the moonlit night does nothing to erase the eeriness of the forest. A woman runs to an approaching carriage "Please! Please, help us!" She shouts in a panicked tone to the men alighting off the carriage "Please, my husband, he's been hurt! Please help him!"

From my position on the ground, I see my face. Not mine, Katherine's. She gestures towards the ground in front, luring the men out farther.

"What are you doing out here in the middle of the night? It's not safe..."

"No. No, sir. It's not safe" In a second, her fangs are in the man's neck and soon the other one's. They both drop to the ground. I get up as she gestures proudly towards the dead bodies "And that... is how it's done..." I look down to see my dirt-laden clothes and a young man's ancient apparel.

I jump out of the dream as Damon gasps awake.

"Why did you do that!" He exclaims. I roll my eyes and get up "Trying to excercise my new skills Hellfire. Your dreams were the ideal prey-"

He gets up from the couch after his short nap. I was supposed to sleep, but I couldn't pass on this opportunity to try my new mind-seeing powers. 

Damon called me over last night to inform me about his and Stefan's deal. I was shocked to receive his call in the first place and furthermore, to know that Stefan planned to open the tomb, getting only the Pierce vampire out while burning the rest.

Damon leads me upstairs and I don't know how I couldn't ignore this part earlier. Stefan and Elena are... being cute (let's stick to that).

"Rise and shine sleepyheads" Damon coos very very smugly and I roll my eyes.

"Damon! Please!" Elena and Stefan rush up to cover her semi-naked chest.

"What are you doing Damon?"

"O stop being smutty" Damon winks to me and I huff, leaning against the threshold.

"Seriously, get out of here!" Stefan mutters, annoyed at our infringement of his privacy.

"Gladly" I groan and start walking away when Damon holds me firmly by the shoulder "If I see something I haven't seen before, I'll throw a dollar at it. Now listen, we have some very important business to discuss-"

"And it has to be right now?" Elena groans out, matching my mood. "Well, we have lots to do, now that we're all friends and working toward a common goal-"

"And that's proof of how you can fucking rush out with the goal" I glare at him, still uncomfortable with being in the same room as my sister and her boyfriend cuddling in next to nothing. I look behind from the corner of my eye, and, seeing that everything in sight is decent, I send out a mental thanks to God.

"So, in order to open the tomb, we need to find the journal to get the grimoire to undo the spells. First things first-since you're the Gilbert sisters... you" he gestures to me pointedly "are on journal duty"

"Since when am I helping?" Elena defiantly asks. 

Damon tuts "Stefan's helping. And you have taken residence in his bed, ergo..." he trails off. 

I smack his ass to get his attention "Since when do I help unleash vengeful vampires out?" Damon smirks 

"Is it weird that I'm actually turned on by that?"

 My nose involuntarily scrunches up and I look to Stefan, who makes use of those puppy-dog eyes. 

I groan "This better be worth the therapy" I barge out of the room.

▹▹▹

Stupid tomb.

Stupid vampires.

Stupid history. 

Stupid journals.

I sigh as I dig into another box with Elena and Stefan. "Do you think Damon really believes us? That we're trying to help him?" Elena asks. 

Apparently, we aren't really helping Damon. We're just going to get to the Grimoire first and make it unavaible to the older vampire. I accepted this plan, because, I neither want Damon to be heartbroken nor do I want those vampires out, not even Katherine.

"You know...I really think that Damon believes that everything he's done, every move that he's made, he's done for love. It's twisted, but kind of sad..." I mutter out. I don't know why I defend him. But he's grown on me... 

Like moss. There, that's bitter enough.

"So what do you think will happen if the tomb gets opened and Damon gets Katherine back?" Elena asks.

Stefan sighs with a burdened conscience "I think that no matter what Damon promises, a lot of people will die..."

Just then, our little brother barges in "What are you guys doing?" 

Elena jerks the box's flaps closed while I answer with an omitted truth "Just going through some stuff, feeling sentimental. Dad had this old family journal from years ago. I thought we'd dig it up"

He jumps up on the kitchen platform "Johnathan Gilbert's journal?"

"Yeah," I frown "-what do you know about it?"

"I just did a history report on it."

"Oh. So where is it now?" I ask, praying it'll be easy to escape with it.

"I gave it to Mr. Saltzman. He wanted to see it...."

Well, the next time I want something to happen,I'll just wish the opposite.

▹▹▹

The school hallways are empty and silent as I walk along with my best friend. Elena is at home, searching for any other journals our ancestor may have left behind as supernatural legacy. 

I peer into the history classroom and find it empty and dark, with the exception of a desk light glowing. I walk in and open the blinds, Stefan continues to watch around for anything remotely similar to the musty old diary in question. 

I open the desk drawer to find something that surprises me.

In it, are wooden things of various kinds. Small stakes, arrows, a mini-crossbow and even some darts which I don't think I want to examine with my fingers. 

I whistle and motion my vampire best friend to have a look. Stefan has the same look and before I can question the extent of Mr. Saltzman's involvement with the supernatural, I see a figure out of the corner of my eye. 

He shoots something at Stefan's back and I catch the wooden weapon just centimeters from its target.

Stefan and I exchange a look of understanding and annoyance. 

"Well, look what the cat dragged in"