✔ | 17 - 𝑺𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝑰 𝑪𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝑨𝒃𝒐𝒖𝒕

𝐒𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐈 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭

- - -
Your heart is home
Now and forever, I'll be your shelter

Safe With Me
~Megan Nicole
- - -

Change is never kind. It disrupts your life, pulls you out of your version of normal. It's unforgiving, natural but above all it's the scariest fucking thing that had the potential to uproot Kat Gilbert's new life.

Losing consciousness isn't everything the teen books chalk it up to be. To Kat, it felt like she was thrusted out of the loop, betrayed by her own body. The darkness was scary, nothing new for her as she felt like she was sleeping on a bed of needles.

Somehow the unending darkness all around her put up a fight when she tried to wake herself up. In the end though, Kat won the fight, gasping into the Land of the Living.

"Vivi? Hey... It's okay, it's me." Stefan's concerned eyes were the first thing that Kat's panicked eyes caught, and she felt a knot loosen in her gut. He brushed a thumb over the small of her back from over her bedsheets, while gently holding his fingers over her forehead. 

Kat gulps, "Wh-" parched. She cleared her throat before whispering an octave lower, "What happened?"

"You fainted" Elena says from behind her boyfriend. She was back in her normal clothes, a shawl wringing in her fists from over her shoulder. To Stefan, she sounded her signature mix of chagrin at her sister. But he wasn't concerned about Elena at that moment.

Kat flinches, visibly shrinking her face into her blankets as her eyes burned with too much light in her face. She felt like she was sitting right in the middle of a diamond and the brightness coming her way had somehow magnified to blind her. Everything buzzed in her ear and she felt... too much. She craved the silence she felt in the darkness before.

"What's that noise!" 

"What noise?" her sister looks around cluelessly. Kat hears shuffling to her right towards the window, only to see her favourite tree banging against her window. Something crackles somewhere else and the sound sends a chill down her spine.

"Viv?"

"Too much" she squints her eyes shut. She sticks her palms to her oversensitive ears with a small sob. She hears a dog yelping somewhere, a child crying in the night. Each sound echoed.