ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ ꜰᴏᴜʀ - 𝑽𝒂𝒎𝒑𝒊𝒓𝒆 𝑮𝒊𝒓𝒍𝒇𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒅

[Episode 12 - Children of the Damned - 3]

I take in a deep breath once again as Stefan and I dig our way into Giuseppe Salvatore's grave. I can't even begin to fathom how sad and morbid it would be to dig up your father's grave. Even if he was never such a figure in Stefan's life, I can understand if Stefan feels demotivated to do this. 

Elena holds the light with her other hand and I wipe off a drop of sweat that has gathered on my temples, not in exhaustion, but in nervousness.

"Elena. I can do this on my own..." he tells my sister and for once, I agree with him, though I haven't been able to stop the supernatural world clawing it's way upto her life, I don't want to put her into such matters willingly.

"-And I said I would do whatever I can to help."

"I know, and I appreciate that, but-"

"This town is my home, Stefan. My friends and family are here. You're here. I don't want that tomb opened any more than you do." Elena explains and even in the dim light, I can see the resolve my sister has to stand by Stefan's side, for better or worse.

I take another breath and dig the shovel deeper, but the first inch of soil is all my shovel goes through before it clinks and the sound vibrates along the hole we have dug and through the night air. 

I look at Stefan and Elena focuses the beam onto the source of the sound. We dig deeper and Stefan takes out the metal lid of the coffin of his father, a man who despised vampires so much that his son grieved being a vampire for his sakes. 

In, lie Giuseppe's bones, pale and morbid, clutching a thickly bound book.

Stefan stills for a second and retrieves the grimoire with shaky hands. I place a sympathetic hand over Stefan's dirty shoulder and it is then that I look at the tears in his eyes. Elena calls down "Is that it?".

It is then that I see Stefan do the hardest thing one could have to do, he swallows the visible lump in his throat and looks up only after composing himself for Elena. He raises his voice "Yes"

 He lands out of the hole with a jump but before he can lend a hand to me, I hear the very voice I hoped would not find out "Well, what do you know?" Damon lilts "This is an interesting turn of events".

I try to climb out of the hole but keep slipping down. I hear the conversation.

"I can't let you bring her back. I'm sorry..."

"So am I. For thinking for even a second that I could trust you!" Damon snarls out.

I find a footing in a strong rock and place my foot there cautiously. I begin to climb my way up. "You're not capable of trust, Damon. The fact that you're here means that you read the journal and you were planning on doing this yourself..."

"Of course I was going to do it by myself, because the only one I can count on is me! You made sure of that many years ago, Stefan-" I reach out to the top and grunt as I get out. Damon casts a hurt look to me. "You-" he mutters angrily.

"You had me fooled..." I grunt and look around, Stefan is on the opposite side of the hole and Elena stands at the head of the hole. I walk to Damon, as he looks to his brother, not even acknowledging me "So what are you going to do now? Because if you try and destroy that, I'll rip her heart out." He points to Elena.

"You won't kill her" I state. 

I wasn't even sure why I was so confident because the next second, I'm thrown back into the hole and I hear Elena grunting. I hear flesh tearing and muffled grunting. Worried and angered, I jump just as Stefan did earlier and find myself beside Damon.