ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ᴏɴᴇ - 𝑰𝒏 𝑳𝒐𝒗𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝑴𝒆𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒚

[Episode 38 - Know Thy Enemy - 1]

Kat rushes into her house, to see everyone anxious and pacing. Elena runs her temples while Alaric is upstairs, sitting by Jenna's closed door. Jeremy runs to her "Thank God! Where were you?"

"Matt knows about everything... He won't let me in all night, but I ran here as fast as I could, is she there?" she points up and rushes up the stairs without waiting. Apparently, Isobel Flemming appeared at her doorstep last night, living proof (somewhat) that Alaric did not lose his wife. Jenna, obviously, locked herself in her room out of the betraying world.

Seeing Kat, Ric stands up "She won't talk to me, or-or open her, her door. Can you-?"

She hugs him with a breath "I'll speak to her okay? Just stay close... We're telling her everything, okay?" she mumbles. He hesitates. He doesn't want Jenna to come in harm's way just because of his dark past. Kat takes his hand with a stern look "Look Ric, look what secrets are doing to her, she needs to know, okay? I'll help you keep her safe..."

She turns to the door "Jenny? It's me - Kat... You up? Please... Can you open the door for me?"

"Go away Kat" they hear a small mumble from the other side.

"Jenna please, hone-"

"Don't call me honey! Get lost Ric!" something thuds onto the other side of the door, vibrating harshly against the elder Gilbert's ear. Kat gently points Ric to her room with a murmur "Go, I'll talk with her" he would have protested in any other situation but Ric nods tentatively, going to Kat's room and stands by the door. 

Elena and Jeremy come up too, their phone in their hands. She shakes her head, motioning them to get out of the hallway up there.

"Okay Jenny, Ric's gone, it's just me... Please, please open the door Jenna, I promise I will tell you everything I know, I mean it Jenna. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry for not telling you about Isobel, but there's more you need to know... Ple-" the door gives away behind her, making Kat catch her balance.

Inside, her aunt's teary, PJ-clad form shakes by the threshold, looking out for any lurkers "Please... Just hear me out..." She slowly raises her hands, placing them on the strawberry blonde's shoulders. The familiar motion makes Jenna relax and she slumps down into her niece's awaiting arms.

"You lied to me!" she accuses "Why did you lie to me?"

"Shh... It's okay Jenna, I'm telling you everything now... Okay?" she holds the wet face in her trembling palms, wiping off the tears and loose curls behind. Jenna nods like a small girl, making Kat smiles sadly.

"Come on, let's get you some water"

▹▹▹

"Oh my God" Jenna sighs "Vampires? Werewolves? Doppelgangers? Guardians?! What..?! I-I, wha-?" Jenna's eyes narrow in disbelief and shock.

"Jenna..." Alaric gets up and kneels in front of her with a kind look. It wasn't easy for him to sink it in either "I know this might be hard to understand.. But it's true, if you don't believe me, you can at least trust your family... Kat's telling the truth..."

"We all are aunt Jenna" Jeremy puts in, offering her a glass of water.

"But... Kat...? Stef-"

"Yes, Stefan and Damon are vampires... Even Caroline, but they're good. Okay?" Elena assures.

"And what about this... Klaus?" she looks around to get nods of confirmation "Klaus. What about him? Sacrifice? You're teenagers! And you've been doing all of.... This!" she gestures around wildly "-behind my back!"