✔ | 10 - 𝒀𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝑯𝒂𝒕'𝒔 𝑳𝒐𝒔𝒕

𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐇𝐚𝐭'𝐬 𝐋𝐨𝐬𝐭

𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐇𝐚𝐭'𝐬 𝐋𝐨𝐬𝐭

- - -
Would it be a sin
If I can't help falling in love with you?

Can't Help Falling in Love
~Elvis Presley
- - -

That night, outside the Forbes' residence

Kat hugs herself tighter, gulping on her spit again and again as she tiptoes outside by the porch. Caroline's asleep peacefully, hugging the pillows Kat had placed in her place. The poor girl was so shaken up at the events of the evening. People like Damon are often heard about, but it isn't everyday you encounter one.

Kat felt shaken up from the very core of her confidence: she put herself in harm's way in order to cage up Damon Salvatore yet she didn't feel any different. Maybe her nightmares had already prepared her for such drastic decisions. 

The crickets chirped on Caroline's manicured front lawn while the streetlights flickered. Kat chose to look at the sky instead; so pretty yet so unattainable. Her mother had always had a problem with how Kat dealt with shock, or perhaps how she did not deal with shock. She would often say something motherly to get Kat to deal with her emotions. But her father on the other hand, he just smiled sadly and took her to the woods to scream. He knew his daughter well.

But loving her parents had left Kat directionless now, deprived of both her mother's scoldings and her dad's understanding smile.

Sighing, Kat sits on the bench metres away from the house. She had already traded her party dress for one of Caroline's pyjamas. Resting the nape of her neck back onto the cold painted-coated metal of the seat, she let the faint smell of Caroline's lawn daisies mix with the smell of wet mud in the air. Two of her favourite smells, yet nothing seemed to assure the girl that the people around her would be fine.

Kat begs herself not to, but her fingers go to the bandage on her neck anyway. It was a sign of everything becoming too real too soon. The monsters she read about in books had jumped to life, with one of them taking over all her will to calm her heartbeat.

She tears off the gauze with a small hiss, the net pulling on her baby hair. Curling her lip to summon the tears back, she fists the piece of netted thread in her hands. The smell of dried blood flooded her nostrils, doing nothing to ease her turbulent mind.

"What are you doing out here Vivi?"

The sudden interruption of silence around her makes Kat look up, startled. She sees Stefan teetering on the balls of his feet, few feet away from her on the street. Had she been so engrossed? She must be looking so out of place: a young girl in ridiculous Winnie-the-Pooh PJs, barefoot out on the street bench.