ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ᴇɪɢʜᴛ - 𝑨𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝑾𝒂𝒚

[Episode 41 - The Last Day - 1]

"The ritual in itself is relatively straightforward" Elijah states as if he's not talking about his brother unleashing his inner beast by killing my sister and friends.

"The ingredients, so to speak, you know"

"The moonstone" Stefan places the problem of an accessory on the table.

"A witch will channel the power of the full moon to release the spell that's bound within the stone. After that, Klaus, being both werewolf and vampire, will sacrifice one of each"

"And where do I fit in?" Elena asks with furrowed brows.

The original vampire's eyes flit to mine, asking me to answer "The final part... Niklaus must drink the blood of the doppelganger and then of the doppelganger Guardian... To their death" I hear my best friend and sister take in sharp breaths. No use avoiding the inevitable.

"And that's where you come in" Jenna purses her lips at Elijah. He takes a small wooden casket from the shelf and presents it to us "This is an elixir that I acquired some 500 years ago for Katerina. It possesses mystical properties of resuscitation"

"So I'll be dead?"

"And then you won't" I state. 

"That's your plan?" Damon enters the room with a glass of bourbon "A magical witch potion with no expiration date? You want to come back to life, what about John's ring?"

"Those rings only work on humans Damon, and doppelgangers are of supernatural fate" I point out with a gulp. I know why he's feeling what he's feeling but I can't tell him what I think - that the elixir may not work. But it's good that I have the back-up ready. Look at me, something in me whispers to my sister, I'm gonna save your life.   

But we all know that's the Klaus in me speaking.

"Do we know if Klaus has everything he needs to do this? Does he have a werewolf?" Stefan asks Elijah.

"Klaus has been waiting to break this curse for over a thousand years. If he doesn't already have a werewolf, my guess is by tonight, he will"

The brothers go out, apparently not strong enough to take the sight of Elena choosing to drink the elixir. That's when Elijah asks me to come out.

"What happened?" I frown, and it seems like that's the only thing I've been doing since weeks.

Elijah's fingers reach beneath his suit and shirt as he pulls out a chain that didn't catch my eye before. And at the end of it, lies the ring that will help me do what I hoped to do in my last lifetime.

"Elij-"

"I kept it with me" he whispers "-all this while, it was with me. Here" he takes the chain off and clasps it around my neck with a guilty smile "Nothing can express how much regret I've faced for killing you then. My family..." he inhales "My family is very important to me, but I want you to know that I did love you Letta..."

Palming the ring, I look up at him with a sigh "Look, E-Elijah... I, I don't know what to believe" we sit down on the bench by the wall and he doesn't take his look off me.

"I love my family too, and I'd do anything to protect them, I understand that..."

"But?" he prompts, making me sniffle.

"I'll have to kill our family if it means that mine survives, and that's why, I-I'm not Violetta anymore, that's my past"

"I understand"

"I-I'm sorry, but Niklaus must die"

He nods solemnly, taking my hand in the last goodbye that he'd ever meant for me. But it's cut short when we hear Jenna shouting "Get out!"

I speed inside to find my aunt holding a crossbow at none other than the frantic body of Alaric Salztman "Jenna, Jenna!" he shouts, trying to nudge out of her shoot-sight.

"I said get out!" she screeches.

"Jenna" 'Alaric' raises his hands in surrender "-put the crossbow down, okay? It's me...!"

"Alaric" I support Jenna from beside, my narrowed eyes never leaving his as I slowly take the crossbow from my aunt. He exhales in relief, maybe thinking that I won't point it at him, but then I do. And he shakes his head.

"It's me Kat! He let me go, Klaus let me go!"

Damon, Stefan, Elena and Elijah surround behind me and Damon scoffs "Prove it"

"Okay" he looks to Jenna "-uh, first night you and I spent together, Jeremy walked in right when I was about to-"

"Okay it's him" my aunt nudges the crossbow down with pursed lips.

If I wasn't happy to have him home, I would have barfed into Damon's glass at the picture Ric made me see.

"But why did he let you go?" I frown as our hunter rejoins the gang.

"He wanted me to deliver a message. The sacrifice happens tonight..."

▹▹▹

"So is Rina alright or not?" I frown.

He snorts "She's dancing around with Klaus, don't worry" but when he sees my frown, he gets serious "She's scared-"

"She's compelled" Stefan states "Damon snuck her some vervain" 

"But she can't leave until Klaus tells her she can?" I sigh. 

"Where's Damon?" Elena gets up slowly, still serious. Stefan stiffens beside us as Jenna answers on behalf of the younger Salvatore "I saw him go upstairs" Elena tries to walk up as slowly as she can manage.

"So" my father-figure/hunter-mentor/History teacher sighs "What else did I do?"

"Apart from trying to kill Bonnie, me and compelling people to kill Jeremy, you were a very good guy" I scoff.

Meanwhile, upstairs, I hear Damon and Elena convince each other that their beliefs are stronger.

"There is another way"

"What are you- Damon no!" she shouts.

Speeding up, I find Damon shoving his bloody wrist into my sister's mouth. I throw him with a shout that summons Stefan.

"What did you do!" I screech "What did you do?!"

He scoffs, jerking off my hold on his collar and glares at us "I just saved her life" he looks to the girl his brother's girl "You're so bent on dying, at least this way I know you'll come back"

"As a vampire!" Stefan and I shout "She'll come back as a vampire!"