Generous Offer

Jacob Blackwood was a man who enjoyed the finer things in life. He rarely had time to socialize because he was addicted to his job. So when he did want to go out he'd probably go all out. So I knew that dinner tonight would be in a fancy restaurant. It was not idea since people in our circle ate at the same fancy places as we did. People would talk. I couldn't cancel though because I was curious about Jacob's reasoning to get married out of the blue. I went home to change clothes. A fancy restaurant meant that I should wear a fancy dress. I chose a long lavender colored dress, kept my hair down but curled the ends and kept my makeup natural.

I went all out and deep down I knew why.

Around six I got ready to leave the apartment. I put on a long grey woolen coat which would keep me warm and took a silver clutch with me. When I entered the building Jacob owned I got a few stares. I was kind of out of place with my fancy dress. Jacob didn't give people time to whisper things about us as he meant up with me the minute I texted him that I was awaiting him in the lobby. He meant up with me right away, placing his hand on my lower back as he guided me out of the building. His personal driver awaited us already. We settled in the backseat of the car while Jacob made sure to press the button to the privacy screen so we were cut off from the rest of the world. His eyes took me in, a small smile tugging on his lips.

"You look stunning, Miss Merigold."

"Thank you."

"You do always dress to impress."

The mood between us was good even though I felt anxious about the conversation we were about to have. Jacob must have felt how nervous I was when he met up with me in the lobby and decided to be his charming self. I honestly appreciated it.

"Is that what you like about me?" I asked teasingly.

His eyes glittered playfully, "That amongst other things."

I glanced out the window, trying to ignore the heated look in his eyes, "You do like to tease me, don't you, Mister Blackwood?"

The soft chuckle which left his lips made me press my thighs together.

"I do admit that your reactions to my teasing are quite entertaining."

I tore my gaze away from the window and narrowed my eyes on him, "Glad I can entertain you."

He brushed his knuckles gently over my cheek which made my breathing hitch in my throat. I didn't anticipate him touching me so gently right now. He kept his distance in his lobby before so I assumed he'd keep things between us neutral. I was wrong though. This man always played dirty.

"I'm not like this with everyone, you know." He whispered.

I didn't know how to take that. The women he dated before were all charmed by this man despite knowing that he never had a serious relationship before. It was either a blessing that he changed his behavior around me or a curse.

"Most people get charming Jacob Blackwood," I muttered.

"And you get to see a different side to me."

A little smile played on my lips, "I've seen so many sides to you already."

He returned my smile, "And hopefully you'll see many more sides to me."

I swallowed nervously, shifting in my seat as I tried to create some distance between us. I wasn't supposed to get lured in by his charm and his gentle tone. He was changing the game because he was eager to get what he wanted and how tempted I was to give him exactly that. I needed a clear head around this man and that meant not giving into his teasing. I kept quiet after that, it was to protect myself and Jacob knew The little chuckle which left his lips made a shiver run down my spine. I felt relieved when the car stopped at the restaurant which Jacob made a reservation at. It meant that we'd be out in public and Jacob couldn't charm my pants off. The driver held the door open for me. I thanked him when I slipped out of the car. Jacob walked around the car and met up with me. He kept his distance this time too, just walking closely beside me as we entered the restaurant. The hostess recognized him and greeted the man with a gentle smile. She put our coats away and then guided us to our table. As I was scanning the menu which the hostess left us I noticed how the room suddenly fell very silent. Lowering my menu I dared to glance around which was a mistake. I noticed how people were staring us, whispering quietly amongst themselves.