Chapter Thirty Three

Colten walked away leaving me alone again. I called Cami's family after and told them that she was in hospital, not long after they sat on the chairs waiting and praying for her to be okay.

It was only the next morning that she was out of danger and we could go see her, she was still asleep though. I walked into her room and saw how pale she was, the bags under her eyes and her hair no longer bouncy and shinny.

Her right shoulder was bandaged and she was hooked up to a heart monitor and IV. "Oh Cam, what have they done to you?" I stroked her head, "Don't worry I'm gonna make them pay" I said a new found determination set in upon seeing my best friend hanging onto life.

I left her room and dailed Erick's number. "Hey I've been worried about you. Is Cami okay?" He asked worriedly when he picked the phone up. It made me sick hearing his words, if they were so worried why didn't they come visit? Or better yet why did Romeo just not shoot her?

"She's fine, but sleeping" I replied keeping my tone even, "can I meet you?" I asked. "Sure I'll come pick you up" he said, "no I'll meet you, at the park in my neighbourhood, down the road from my house" I said hailing a cab. "Sure what time?"

"In ten minutes" I then cut the call and phoned Colten giving him the details. I didn't stop to go home in just went straight to the park and saw Erick already there waiting. "Hey" he said as I approached, "I'm so glad you're okay" he said giving me a hug. "Why didn't you come see her?" I asked emotionlessly.

"What?" He looked at me confused when he pulled away, "why didn't you come to the hospital?" I asked again. "There where to many cops around" he replied smoothly, his arms wrapped around my waist.

I pulled his face closer to me and kissed him, I poured all my emotions into that kiss. He furrowed his eyebrows when he looked at me, "why are you crying?" He places his hands on my cheek wiping the tears away.

I kissed his plam, "I thought we agreed no more secrets" I said and moved his hands stepping backwards. "And I've kept my promise" he said reaching out for me, I gave him a sad teary smile. "But I haven't" I confessed as someone came up from behind him and dropped him to his knees.

"No" he whispered but I heard him, his eyes wide in shock. I stood in place and sobbed as they handcuffed him, he kept his eyes on me the whole time, eyes red and tears streaming down his face.

Two officers hauled him to his feet and walked him to a car, shoving him in the back. "You did the right thing" Colten said putting a hand on my shoulder, "then why don't I feel like it?" I sobbed. "In due time you will" he said patting my shoulder then walked away.

I got into the cab and went back to the hospital, "oh your back. I was just about to call you" Cami's mother said when I walked into the ward. "What's wrong?" I asked worriedly, "She's been asking for you" she said. "Cami's awake?" I asked, she nodded in the direction of the room.

I rushed in and saw Cami sitting up and watching tv, "oh my God" I said and went over to hug her. "Hey, ouch! Take it easy" she laughed and I let go of her, "sorry" I said sheepishly. "How are you feeling?" I asked, "not as bad as I thought I would feel" she laughed out.

My lips set into a line and a grim look on my face, "Don't worry they paid for doing this to you" I said, she furrowed her eyebrows. "What are you talking about?" She asked confused, "the person who shot you is getting what they deserve" I explained. "Alex I don't know what you're on right now, but Romeo was the one who shot me" the tone she used made it seem like I didn't know what was happening and she was explaining to me.

"I know, and he shouldn't of done that" I confirmed, "What are you talking about? And why are you acting so weird? Where's Romeo and Erick?" She swung her legs to the side of the bed and reached for her phone. "I don't know where Romeo is, I haven't seen him since last night and the cops took Erick away" I said honestly.

"What?" She asked in horror, I thought she would be happy that she was getting avenged. "He's shouldn't of shot you" I repeated, "it was fucking planned Alex!" She shouted darling a number on her phone and cursed when no one picked up. "What?" Now I was shocked and confused.

"You just recently came into our group so I don't blame you for not knowing. Romeo didn't want me to get hurt or arrested when someone tried to take him down. So we came up with this plan that if we were ever cornered, he would shoot me somewhere that's not fatal and I would go off to hospital while he sorted things out. Just to keep me safe."

My heart stopped at her words, he didn't shoot her on purpose, he was trying to protect her. That's what they've always been trying to do, protect the people they love and care about.

"They are charging Erick with partaking in an illegal fighting ring, but they didn't have anything on Romeo" I told her, she sighed and ran a hand through her hair.

"God help us all."