Chapter 1

No Cassandra! I won't let you go to New York and listen well, you're not allowed to venture far away from here. Don't you know the danger lurking in the big city? What if something bad happen to you and nobody is there to protect you?

Cassie cannot believe that her Dad spout some nonsense, for God's sake! she's already an adult, a 24 years old who is tired of living her mundane and stifling life in this awful ranch.They lived in a small town in Texas and owned a ranch, now her retired military father enjoyed living. All Cassie wanted is a different life away from here. Her childhood had been on these ranch surrounded by farm animals.

But Dad, can't you see I'm suffering from boredom here? I am going to die an old maid, all my friends are either married or moved out to the city. I'm not like aunt Maggie who is content to live here all her life, or do you think she wanted this kind of life? did you even care to ask her if she is happy?

Her aunt Maggie is the one who brought up Cassie since her Mother passed away of cancer when she was just 6 years old. Aunt Maggie gave up her life for them by taking care of her and her two older brothers, that time Nate is just 12 and Jacob is 10. Hence their Father is in military and deployed overseas, he asked his little sister to looked after his children. Maggie didn't have a choice since her brother brought her up and supported her until she finished her education and found a job as an accountant in a law firm in New York. She is obliged to help her brother and her willingness also to take care of the children, she felt that it is highly time to return all the sacrifices her older brother had for her.

What is this ruckus here, I heard some banging of pots and chairs that almost all the animals in the barn even heard it and jumped, said Maggie with exaggeration. She looked at her brother's irritated demeanor and Cassie's scowling face.These two are the most stubborn she thinks.

Aunt Maggie, can you talk some sense to Dad? maybe he would listen to you and stop being unreasonable.

What is this all about? looking for her brother with a questioning gaze.

Me? unreasonable ? ask that bull headed niece of yours. .

Maggie is getting dizzy looking back and forth between father and daughter, both refusing to concede. With a sigh, Maggie talk calmly and act as a mediator, she's the only one who knows these two people whom she loved dearly but can also diminished what little patience she had when they start arguing, both stubborn for their own good.

She understand her brother's frustration of being overprotective towards Cassie because she also had the same experience when she was younger up to now. She loved her brother dearly but sometimes she felt sympathetic to Cassie. She is young and little too naive and innocent to venture to the world alone. Being too beautiful and not even aware of her own beauty because of her boyish attitude, not to notice the lingering stare of the male population in their town. Added the respect of her father and the the two towering male figure of her brothers, no one dared to approach Cassie. One look of the withering stare of the Burke's men , made them cower.

Not to mention with Cassie's delicate outward appearance, there's a fighter inside her due to the male influence in her family. She learned at a young age how to protect herself, she knows how to use guns and self defense and everybody in town knows it. Who dares to approach, those who have tried failed. Although Cassie is tough in the outside, she inherited her mother's tender side, she loves her family dearly, she's tough at the same time vulnerable. Strong-willed Cassie would never back down a fight like she did now with her father, she loves to annoy the great General Burke albeit retired, ever since she's a child, she's argumentative and outspoken.

Her father's tough demeanor will soften whenever he watched Cassie, she reminds him of his late wife whom he loved dearly. That sometimes it tores his heart to watched his children grew up without their mother especially Cassie whom resembles her mother so much. His little girl now turns into a very beautiful young woman and he wants to shelter her from the unsafe world. His experience in the war during his service in the military brought a pang in his heart. Those bastards who raped and enslaved women, the atrocities, some of them they rescued but others are not lucky to survived, that is why as a father he wants to protect Cassie at all cost.

Cassie is so livid at her father's decision so she runs to her favorite place in the ranch to cool down. Riding her favorite horse Storm, she mellowed a little bit upon reaching the riverbank, with a crystal clear water surrounded with lush greenery, she decided to swim.

Meanwhile, Maggie tried to talk to her brother.

What? not you also, if your going to plead on Cassie's behalf forget it.

Um..don't you think it's time for Cassie to let her spread her wings? she's an adult now, let her decide what she wants to do with her life. We cannot shield her forever, we are not getting any younger. Cassie is a strong girl and a stubborn one too, might I add she's a lot like you, she chuckles.

Alfred faced Maggie with a scowl marred on his forehead.

Wipe that ridiculous look on your face brother, with her temperament and yours no wonder you always butt heads. Looking at her brother's pensive appearance she hope that her words would give an impact with this thick headed man, but she loves him nontheless.

Let me think about this, said Alfred with a sigh, morosely contemplating.