Chapter 4

"Oh good your back, "how's your run? By the way,  your father wants talk to you . "He's in the library waiting.

Uhm..aunt, do you think Dad is willing to let me go to New York? Did you talk some sense to him?

Her aunt smiled at her tenderly, thinking how she's going to miss this girl. Cassie is the daughter she never had. If you want to know missy, run along and talk to him.

Cassie left bewildered by her aunt's cryptic words.

Going to her father's office, she knocks the door with a little apprehension not to welcome another argument from him. She heard his voice come in and she slowly opened the door. Looking at her Father's serious face Cassie could not help but felt slightly nervous.

"Uhm..you want to  talk to me? Have you decided to let me go to New York? Her father continued to be silent with his signature unsmiling face, a habit acquired in military. Looking back, Cassie seldom saw her father cracked a full smile, he always had the look of being dignified and stern. But she remembers also when she was a kid, when her dad comes home from deployment he always checks on her before going to bed and said goodnight even given her a kiss and hug.

Cassie know her Dad is a softie when it comes to her compared to her elder brothers. She remembers when Nate and Jacob teases her about the boy in the school that she had crushes on and she cried her eyes out because they wouldn't stop making fun of her. Their Dad scolded them and even punished the boys by cleaning the barn all week.That teach them a lesson not to mess with her, she cannot deny that she was the apple of her father's eyes, they always remind her of that and she can get away with anything concerning her brother's constant pranks . How she missed those two rascals and the days gone wild chasing each other into exhaustion that made their aunt Maggie exasperated of her for acting like a tomboy and unladylike. Her brother's will get the brunt of their aunt's tongue lashing for teaching their sister into what she called boys activities, but for her, they're the best brother anyone could asked for.

Alfred seeing Cassie in daze cleared his throat, your aunt told me to give you a chance to prove yourself .

Cassie is surprise, does it mean your allowing me to move to New York? She cannot help the excitement from her voice.

Don't celebrate yet, you can go but with one condition. Upon hearing this, Cassie tone down her disappointment. What do you mean? what condition?

I give you one month to stay in New York with Alicia. Treat this as a vacation, not more than that, take it or leave it.

Her father is a hardcore negotiator, once decided it would be final. Cassie started to open her mouth but her father shush her. She cannot believe what had just transpire, one minute she's so happy and the next she's boiling inside but try to suppress and think calmly. Her calculative mind works very fast, it's better than nothing right? She can go to New York still, and from there, she can think of ways to prolong her stay.

Her father ask, What? no argument? even your brother's agreed to let you have a vacation.

So you called them? I can't believe you guys,, ugh...

Don't be ridiculous, of course I have to tell your brothers, you know what they like right? Now go and prepare your things before I changed my mind.

Don't you dare go back to your words,.. General's honor. Cassie hugs her Dad, sure gonna miss you old man.

Alfred hugs Cassie back with misty eye trying to prevent from falling, how come his baby grow up fast, but he had to let her go sometimes.

Maggie is right, he's not getting any younger, Cassie needs to stand on her own and experience life has to offer. Mulling it over, he hopes he won' regret his decision, but as long as he breaths, he will always protect his baby girl.