Chapter 39

With hurried stride Alex is excited to see Cassie waiting in his office, he was not bothered not seeing Mary at her table, maybe she's already in the conference room.

He was frantically searching at the woman he was eager to see, shoulder drop in disappointment, his face fell when he notice there's no Cassandra waiting for him. What did he expect, that stubborn woman is definitely not going to spare time waiting longer for him. It takes 4 hours to get back in his office, maybe Cassie is getting tired.

Alex you're back, you have 30 minutes left before the meeting commence. The investors are there already, I just served their refreshments.

Mary notice Alex seems to be distracted, are you alright?

I'm fine Mary just give me a sec., you can go ahead I'll be there in a moment.

Alex felt a heaviness on his chest, he needs to compose himself before he could face those people.

Entering the conference room with his usual confident stride he greeted them only with a curt nod, he is back in his element of being a ruthless businessman.

After the negotiation is finalized, and all necessary documents has been signed, both parties are satisfied with the outcome. Extending for handshakes the deal is sealed, and the meeting concluded. Another successful business deal he had acquired, but part of him is in turmoil.

Mary cannot help but voiced her concern, she'd been observing Alex in deep thoughts. The meeting is finished and the investors are gone, but he still seated in the head table not showing any sign of departure, is there something bothering you Alex?

It's ok Mary I'm just thinking of something, or rather someone he added silently.

Can I ask you something? did you happened to bumped into a beautiful young woman on your way out earlier? The timing is just right when Cassie came here, she's Alice bestfriend, the one who brought the documents I told you about I forgot at home. My neice is busy at work, so she asked Cassie instead since she stay there with her.

How I wished the two of you would meet, if you see her I'm sure you would be smitten. No one can resist her beauty, aside from being kind and she's perfect for you. But she came her fuming and with one shoe, she said she bumped into some arrogant man who took her shoe when she throw it at him for not apologizing to her. Mary laughed telling Alex the details.

Poor man, Cassie has a good aim, when you grew up surrounded by military men you would learned to become tough too, she's been doing target practicing since she was a kid.

Alex creased forehead is replaced with a fond smile, he could picture his Cassie with her adorable pout and wearing pigtails competing her brothers in all activities they would embark, knowing her competitive nature he is sure her older siblings would have a hard time fending off her antics.

But his smile is suddenly wipe off when he heard Mary's next words.

I'm worried of that girl though, she asked if I cound lent her my extra shoes so I did, but the problem is my size is a bit smaller, I'm sure her feet were gonna have some blister if she continued wearing it for long. Although she assured me to buy a new one when she saw shop nearby, but the fact is, it's in my conscience what happened to her today . I blamed myself, if only I didn't forget that document.

Before Mary can finish her narrative, Alex is already in the door with a lightning speed worried that Cassie suffered because of his over confidence that she would wait for him till he comes back. He call Mike to get the car ready, while in the elevator he's getting impatient to reach the lobby. His frown deepened at the sudden throbbing of his head, good thing Mike is there already waiting for him.