Chapter 45

Cassie received a phone call from her Grandmother, she reminds her of that dreaded dinner tonight. She demanded her presence to be inevitable, she didn't even have time to make any excuses when her Grandmother threatened to call her father. That would be a disaster since the two of them didn't see eye to eye because of what happened in the past. Her Grandmother didn't forgive him for marrying her one and only daughter and losing her for the second time. How did she know my number? Cassie thought, but knowing her Grandma's resources it's not hard to obtain it if she puts her mind into it.

A deep sigh coming from Cassie alerted Alex that he stop on what he's been doing. He could see the annoyed expression in Cassie's face that he cannot help to ask the reason of it.

What was it Mon Amour? Why are you upset? Is anyone bothering you? Alex ask Cassie subsequently.

It's my Grandmother, she's invited us or rather demanded to have dinner with her tonight.

Does she lived in Southampton? It will take two hours drive to get there given there's no traffic . He look at his wristwatch it's already 3pm, even if they still have time to prepare, he is not sure if they're not going to be late. Knowing her Grandmother's reputation one should be prompt when she issued an invitation or there will be consequences, he's not afraid though...

She said she stayed at her penthouse for now at " Le Penthouse" I don't know where that is..

I know where it is, it's in downtown Manhattan near Empire State Building. It is the most expensive penthouse in the entire New York City, no doubt your Grandmother had an impeccable taste sparing that amount of money for her own pleasure.

We don't have to go if you don't want to.

She scoff... you don't know my Grandmother, no one declined her invitation even it is a forced one, she just reminded me of her superior ways.

Don't forget who your boyfriend is Mon Amour, I could topple anyone even your Grandmother. Alex really admire Elizabeth Cornell, she is the pillar in New York society that everyone aspired to be like her. She maybe her Grandmother, but when it comes to Cassandra he is protective of her that he will do anything even getting head to head with the famous Cornell's matriarch.

That's true, if anyone could manage to undermine Elizabeth Cornell's authority that would be Alexander Blackhurst.

Whatever your decision Mon Amour, I'm just here to support you, I don't want you to be upset.

When I think it hard, I think we should go and learn what she wants. It's been so long we communicate, we didn't missed her absence in our life, but my Father didn't want to sever our relationship knowing he loves my Mom very much, even swallowed his pride just to make peace with her.

Then it's settled, I will call Mike to get the car ready.

Oh my God! I almost forget that I don't have a dress to wear, can we go to the apartment first on our way there so I could change? she said in panic.

Relax Mon Amour I have it covered, come to our room I will show you something.

How come you prepared a dress for me? I was even surprised earlier that you already laid one on the bed, I was so worried that I have nothing wear.

When they reach the room, Alex open half of his closet and to Cassie's surprise there's an array of designer dresses and even rows of shoes at the bottom.

A pang of jealousy crept her mind, she tries to act nonchalant and ignore about it but she cannot help to feel uneasy and a bit apprehensive.

Alex seeing Cassie's reaction cannot help but smile, he's happy to see this jealous side of her that she tried to hide, she looks ready to burst in indignation. He suppressed his amusement not to add fuel to her ire and tries to sooth his girlfriend. Did you think that all of this are for some woman? Have you not heard nanny that I never brought any woman here before? I prepared this ahead of time Mon Amour knowing you would come here sooner. I just want you to be comfortable everytime you visit here. If you think that this is too fast for you, then let me tell you I'm in this relationship for a long haul. I even follow your pace Mon Amour, but let me do something for you that would make me happy. I am not pressuring you Cassandra nor you are oblige to do something that makes you half hearted and hesitant to take the steps.