Chapter 36

Heavy footsteps reverberates in the hallway of  Alexander’s office. A fuming face of  Kevin passed Mary’s table without greeting her.

The startled secretary stood stock  still, whatever words she wanted to utter is stuck in her throat.  She never seen him this aggravated look  before, he’s always been a mild mannered man and jolly to the core that she always admired. He is the opposite of Alex dark and serious countenance .

Pushing Alex door very hard like an angry bull heaving without bothering to pause for moment he shouted at Alexander.

What the hell bro?  I warned you that this would happened, so what are you going to do now that Cassie’s name is dragged into this mess? The media won’t leave her now, they would be curious and pry about her personal life, and worst of all they already accused her of ruining your perfect relationship with Katherine.  Is this the works of that despicable family again? They wouldn’t leave you alone since you thwarted their every efforts to regain their business that you acquired from them. They’re getting nastier and  desperate to even played this filthy tricks, what worried me most is Cassie’s security. I’m sure paparazzi are going to hound her now.

Suddenly become tired from his ranting he slumped down in the chair and sit across at Alex who is still being silent . Deep in his thoughts, like a deer caught in the headlights, the staggering realization that Alex and Cassie  might have a relationship surge a panic from him. His focus was back on Alex, he finaly had the courage to ask him the one thing he dreaded most to hear.

Sitting in his swivel chair Alex just watched his bestfriend calmly, he already expected this to happened. He just let  Kevin vent his anger on him, he understood what had made his bestfriend angry and he cannot put a blame on him.

What are you doing with Cassie that night in the club when you seem to be drunk and she and Andrew assisted you to the car.

What do you think Kev?

Don’t give me that bullshit Alex, answer my question dammit.

Are you going to renege on what  we have  agreed, that if Cassie choose one of us it will affect nothing of our friendship? You want the honest truth? Yes Kev, Cassie and I are officially in relationship since yesterday. We have our first date  but it was ruined because of that absurd gossip, and we have a little... I don’t know man. When I saw her crestfallen, I wanted to assure her that it’s going to be alright, but she refused to be comforted and she asked me to give her time. I don’t want to suffocate her on my presence knowing I was the one that caused of her distress. I don’t want to brag or insensitive to you Kev knowing of what you feel about Cassie, but I’m helpless man. I fell inlove for the first time and I don’t know what to do.

Kevin hearing Alex confession cannot helped but took pity on him.  Yes he was hurt, but it’s not Alex fault  that they both fell for the same woman. He maybe inlove with Cassandra but she made her choice already, and part of him is relieved that atleast the two most important people in his life  found each other’s happiness. It hurt like hell, but he knows he will moved on and be optimistic. Regardless of  the heartache, there's still a subtle feeling  that atleast his bestfriend could finally be happy despite what have he been through after the the death of his parents.

Shoulder flop, he sigh in defeat..

Congratulation man, as much as it hurts but I’m happy for both of you. I’m glad that it’s you whom  Cassie choose.  She deserves the best, and I don’t want to elaborate to inflate your already huge  ego but I know you’ll do everything for her.

Thank you Kev, you’re the best brother I could have, and I’m sorry.. I don’t know what more  can I  say.

Just protect her and make her happy. He stood and give Alex  a hug,  just so you know, if you fail to make her happy I promise I would beat you into a pup, or Cassie and her brothers would give you a beating  if you fail to fulfill your promises.

Seeing Mary anxiously waiting  in her table Kevin brighten up his smile. Sorry about earlier I passed by without greeting. I’m just so mad at Alex that I came here like a tornado, but were okay now and things were settled.

I’m glad you fixed whatever differences you two have, he needs you more than ever. Mary is cryptic on her words but Kevin understood what she meant.

*********
Katherine’s shrilling  voice can be heard all over the Howard’s mansion. Maids tried to scutter away when they know she had tantrums. She tends to throws things away like now when James walks on her wandering what caused her this insane and fuming.

Watching his sister’s face,  she looks like a mad woman grappled between reality and madness. He shuddered, he knows Katherine is a bit insane, her eyes has this faraway and vacant look.

Picking up the magazine that she thrown away, he looked at the front cover, and there it is the picture of Alex and some woman, wait she looks familiar, he spoken aloud. I know this girl..

Hearing her brother's voice Katherine’s eyes blink and returned in focus, what did you say?

I know this girl, this is the bitch that caused  Kevin Mathews to punched me, if it’s not for her high and mighty attitude I wouldn’t have been thrown  out in the club like some loser. I hate this bitch, she’s very beautiful though, no wonder Alexander would fall for her.

No…Alex is mine, I will not let some whore take him away from me.

What would you do sister? Do you have any plan? I can help you with that.

Katherine had a sinister smile that even James could not help but pity the woman who crossed his sister’s path.

In the dark recess of Katherine’s mind she already formulated ways how to torture Cassie.