| Chapter 2 |

Zoe's POV

Mom and I stood in my room, staring at each other, and after good ten minutes, I finally asked her.

"Are you going to say something? We have to start our little chat eventually, Mom." I contended.

Mom had her gaze fixed on me, and I narrowed my eyes at her. She continued to stare at me for a while, then sighed.

Guess she gives up.

She stomped towards my bed and slumped on it. "Fine, yes, your father is alive, Zoe."

"I already know that much." I rolled my eyes. "I need to know more. What's his name? Where he is? What does he do? Is he married? Do I have more siblings...?" I stopped ranting, realizing that she was in deep thought. "Mom?"

"Huh?... ah, his name is James, he is in Texas, he owns a small construction company, yes he is married or was, his wife died in an accident, and he has a son and.... um... what else do you want to know?"

There's something wrong with her. First, she didn't tell me a single thing, and now she answered my every question, just like that.

"Are you okay, Mom?" I asked her and wasn't expecting when she burst to cry. I never liked when she cried, it made me want to cry too. "Mom, why are you crying? Please stop..." I lowered myself next to her and gave her a side hug.

"I...don't get why you want to know about him...are we not enough for you... Is Jacob not a good father?" She sobbed.

"That's not what the problem is, I just want to know about him. Try putting yourself in my shoes and think about it. Wouldn't you like to know your father at least?" I tried to be emotional because that was the only way to make her talk.

She looked agonized; she held her face in her palms and cried for God knows how long, and I didn't understand why she was even crying like that.

"Mom, please stop crying, or else I'm going to cry, too," I whispered.

"Alright, dear." She rubbed her already reddened eyes and sniffed. "Give me a second." She got up and went to the bathroom. I heard the water running and after a minute she came back and sat on the bed. "You want to know about him, I will tell you."

"Before we move to California, we used to live in Texas, so how come I never met him? Does he even know about me?" I inquired.

I was born in Texas, and when I was around five or six we moved to California, and then Mom met Jacob. They dated for a while and got married. I was nine at that time and I was so happy that Mom finally found her prince charming.

"Yes, he knows about you, but I didn't let him meet you." She confessed.

"But why?"

"I thought, the way things happened between us will be a bad influence on you." I frowned.

How come Mom meeting Dad is a bad influence on me?

"It was a one-night stand." I let out a loud gasp.

"W-hat?!"

My mom had a one-night stand? That was hard to digest.

"I know what you are thinking. I was not like this before. I was a spoiled brat who used to do whatever she liked without thinking of the consequences."

"I met your father at a bar, we had a one-night stand, and then I found out I was pregnant with you." She stopped and exhale heavily. "At first I thought of getting an abortion." She kept her eyes on the floor while talking and looked embarrassed about it. "Because I wanted to become a model and getting pregnant was not on my list."