| Chapter 3 |

Zoe's POV

I was waiting for Austin in the living room when Aubrey came downstairs, looking broody. "Are you okay, Aubrey?"

"Uh, what?" She glanced at me, furrowing her brows. "Oh, it's you." She gave me a once-over. "Going somewhere?"

"Yup, I'm having dinner with Austin." I smiled and tried not to sound disappointed because he said 'We need to talk'.

"Oh... Good luck with that." Her shoulders tensed as she lumbered towards the kitchen.

"Thank you..." I watched her leave and could feel it in my guts that something was wrong when she abruptly spun on her heels.

"I forgot to thank you for last night...you know with the help and all." I blinked my eyes. This was the first time I saw her nervous.

"No need for that because it didn't work, Jacob, found out about it, anyway."

"Yeah, he did..." she trailed off.

"Is something bothering you?" I questioned.

"What?!... Um... No... no, nothing's wrong... everything is fine." She stuttered and gave me a fake smile.

I admit it was the longest conversation I ever had with her in seven years, but I felt she wanted to say something, because if not then she would have ignored me, like always.

"Are you sure-" a horn sound cut me off.

"Yeah, I'm peeeeerfectly fine. Go with Austin and have fun, don't let me ruin it for you." She said in an unusually high-pitched voice. "I have already ruined everything." She mumbled the last part but I heard it, anyway.

"Ok... Bye, I'll see you later."

She didn't reply to me. Instead, she glanced out of the window, biting her lips, and looked depressed.

I padded outside, where Austin was waiting for me and I smiled at him, trying to stay positive. He gave me a tight smile and went to open the passenger door for me. Such a gentleman. He kissed my cheek before closing the door; it was a kind of habit, and he always did that.

"Where are we going?" I wondered as he sat in his seat.

"One of my friends mentioned this restaurant we haven't been to, I thought of going there." He answered, switching his car on, and drove towards the road.

"That's a great idea!" I said, trying to be cheerful.

Stay positive Zoe, maybe he wants to talk about continuing our relationship, or...maybe he wants to break up, and never talk to you again, and shhh... Stay positive, and think positive.

We didn't utter a single word the whole way. Austin drove, looking straight while I was trying to read his mind, which by the way didn't work.

Austin is a handsome guy, with beautiful blonde hair and deep blue eyes. At first, I used to think something was going on between him and Aubrey, but they were always like 'No, we are just friends' or 'Ew that's gross'.

We reached the restaurant, and I glanced through the window, looking at it. It was huge, beautiful, and screamed expensive. I saw everyone dressed elegantly, and this was how things roll in California. It was a good thing that I wore one of the best dresses I had, a navy blue, V-neck frock that reached my knees.

"Shall we?" Austin came by my side.

I nodded, and we went inside. Austin already reserved the seats, and I was glad he did because the place was packed.

We went to our seats, and the waitress came asking for drinks. I ordered orange juice while Austin ordered some weird-name drink. I wanted to drink a milkshake so bad but the mood seemed too gloomy that even my milkshake wouldn't be able to cheer it.