| Chapter 20 |

Zoe’s POV

I sat frozen in my place and watched in confusion as Griffin walked away.

What the heck happened to him?

Everything was fine, and we were about to kiss, but abruptly he backed away, saying he was tired. This was the second time he did that, and I felt embarrassed now. Maybe he doesn’t like me like that and only gets caught up in the moment before realizing it.

Arg!

I felt so... Dumb. It was like every time we were this close, I eagerly wanted to kiss him but he always backed away ending things like this.

Don’t be stupid and make things awkward, Zoe!

If he doesn’t like me and it’s a one-sided attraction, then fine by me. I wasn't the only girl in this world who liked a guy and he doesn’t like back. I’ve handled more serious situations like this. I could handle a simple crush, too.

✶ ✶ ✶

No. I can’t handle a simple crush.

It was so awkward for me to sit in the morning at a cafe as we ate our breakfast. I frequently glimpsed at Griffin and saw him staring at his food. His face was dull, and I saw dark circles under his eyes like he didn’t sleep properly. He hasn’t looked at me since morning, and maybe he’s ignoring me.

After eating breakfast, everyone walked towards the trucks to go and I saw them walking towards the one they came in. I gulped at the thought of sitting with Griffin. I couldn’t sit with him for three hours after making things awkward between us. Glancing at Stella and Evelyn talking, I went behind them.

“Can I sit in William’s truck with you guys?” I whispered.

“Why?” Stella asked, tilting her head.

“Because I think going on a journey with someone makes you closer to them,” I said in a monotone. They both blinked at me, then glanced at each other.

“Come on, let’s go,” William hurried everyone.

“Zoe’s coming with us,“ Stella announced and discreetly winked at me.

Maybe she got my point.

“Why?” Eric asked, looking between us.

“Because I said so.” she flatly replied and grabbed my wrist taking me to William’s truck.

I felt Griffin’s gaze boring in my head, but I kept my head down. I sat with Liam and Evelyn in the back and didn’t dare to look at Griffin.

The entire ride, everyone kept talking about the fun we had last night and should go out more often. I looked out the window and gave them short answers.

“You alright Zoe?” Evelyn asked, looking concerned.

“Yeah, just sleepy.” I faked a yawn.

She nodded and smiled at me, then continued her chat with Liam. I turned my head again to look outside but caught William’s eyes, watching me through the rare mirror. He stared for a while, then focused on the road again.

That was weird.

The next day at school, I avoided Griffin at every chance I got. Whenever I saw him in the corridor, I turned the other way around. I didn’t even go to the cafeteria to eat with others. I was extremely embarrassed to see him. It was also easy to avoid him since it was the game week, and the hallways were filled with spirited and excited students chatting about the game on Friday.