Chapter|71|

Asher

I wiped the beads of sweat on my forehead and tried to shoot the ball into the basket. I groaned for the nth time as I missed it again.
I glanced at coach and he shook his head at me. He is definitely disappointed.
This is all her fucking fault. She has been messing with my head since the break up.
"That's enough for today boys. Tomorrow is another day"Coach announced and everyone cheered tired of training for hours.
"I want to have a word with you Asher"the coach said and I walked to him nervous about what he wants to say.
"What the hell is wrong with you? The big game is in just three days and you can't even make a basket in training.
Where is your head at? There is something wrong with you. I hope it has nothing to do with your breakup "he said and I wasn't really surprised he knew about that. "I am alright coach. Just stressed out about the big game" I said and he gave me a look.
"You better get better or I will be forced to take a decision that will benefit the team. Scouts are coming to watch the game and you know what this means for you. Remember you are the captain and the boys rely so much on you.
Don't let them down"he said pointing a finger at me.
"I will be fine, I just have to practice harder"I said and he nodded.
I watched him walk out before heading to the bleachers. I grabbed my water bottle and took a large gulp of water.
I wiped my face clean of sweat and grabbed a ball from the sidelines.
I bounced and bounced before shooting.
I didn't make it but I tried again.
She broke up with me but it shouldn't ruin my future.
She has hers under control so I should also do that.
I managed to make a hit and fist pumped in the air.
Now that's what I am talking about.
I trained around for a while and stopped when I got exhausted.
I grabbed my water bottle and walked to the locker room. I already finished my tests for today.
I can't believe I am finally done with high school. Just graduation and prom left.
People were cheering all over the school and it was hard to find a quiet place.
I took a quick shower and put on a black sweatshirt and grey pants with white sneakers.
I headed out and almost stumbled into a girl. "Hey Asher"the girl purred and I groaned inwardly.
This is sickening. This used to make me feel awesome but nowadays, I just feel disgusted. She trailed her hands around my chest and I pulled it off.
"Leave me the fuck alone" I deadpanned and she flinched at the intensity of my voice. I moved away from her and ran a hand through my hair.
I moved into the hallway and saw her talking with Olive.
Another girl approached me and I smirked at her.
The girl was talking but I wasn't listening. I kept smiling and kept peering at her through my peripheral view.
She was looking in my direction with a sad look and my smirk widened.
Perfect.
I wrapped my hands around the girl's waist and pulled her closer.
I forced myself to plant my lips on hers knowing she was watching every single moment of it.
The girl tried to put her tongue in my mouth but I pressed my lips together.
I couldn't help but compare how my lips always molded with hers.
Every kisses made me addicted but I felt bland and irritated kissing this one.
I knew it was wrong playing with their feelings just to make her feel the pain she caused me.
The girl tried to roam her hands underneath my shirt but I held them.
I finally pulled away sighing when she walked out of the hallway.
"Should_"the girl started but I walked out going in the opposite direction from her.
I walked to the field and watched the volleyball team practice.
"Hey man"I look up to see Daniel and Matthew. We exchanged bro handshakes and they settled beside me.
"What did coach talk to you about?"Daniel asked and I sighed.
"I have not been doing well and all" I replied running a finger through my hair.
"We know you are hurting dude. Share your thoughts with us. You have been making out with other girls just to make her jealous"I wasn't surprised they knew all about my plans. We have been friends for so long so it wasn't hard for us to figure each other out.
"I wasn't expecting her to break up with me. Everything was going fine and I was shocked when she did that.
She was selfish enough to throw our relationship away just like that. I get it, her grades were dropping and that was enough to put her on the edge.
She didn't have to break up with me, we could have figure it out together" I said with a scowl on my face.
"That was unexpected. You guys fitted perfectly"Daniel said and I hummed in response.
"Are you going to take her back if she..."Matthew wiggles his eyebrow and I rolled my eyes.
"I already told her not to come back to me. She is out, fine. My big game is the most important thing to me right now" I said and walked away from them.
I decided to go to the art room hoping it is empty. I don't want to showcase my talent in front of anyone. I want it to be my thing. I don't want to exhibit it to world.
I don't see them being auctioned or sold just to someone. I like to keep them close and stare at them sometimes.
She knows.
I smiled as I remembered the painting I made of her.
The smile disappeared as soon as it appeared.
I snapped out as I bumped into someone. "I am so_"the word died in my mouth as I cursed my luck.
She gave me a small smile and started packing her things that fell.
I helped her and quickly gave it to her.
I left before her scent started messing with my head. It has been so long since we had been that close.
I remembered yesterday when I saw her standing outside in the heavy rain.
I was going to offer to help her but I decided not to.
She didn't deserve my empathy.
I gripped my hair and made my way into the room.
It was empty and I made my way to an blank canvas. I didn't bother putting on an apron since I wasn't going to be dealing with paint.
I grabbed the pencils and let my mind wander far. I let my hands lead me.
To anyone watching, it would look like nonsense. It only makes meaning when it's done.
I stopped for a bit to use my headphone.
I pressed on a random playlist and got started again.
********
I stretched my hands and stared at the drawing. My eyes widened at it and I cursed under my breath.
I managed to sketch her. I drew the image of her when I was kissing that girl.
I captured the sad look on her face and every feature.
I paused the playlist and sighed.
"This is really amazing" I wasn't expecting but I didn't get scared.
I turned to the sound and saw the art teacher staring at my work.
So much for keeping it a secret.
He moved closer and examined it.
"You never thought of joining this class. You would have been our best student"he said and I rolled my eyes expecting him to say that.
"I wanted it to be my own thing" I replied and dusted my clothes. I grabbed the pencil and put them back in their case. I grabbed the paper and rolled it. "Do you how much you can gain from selling one painting? You shouldn't hide this talent of yours. You should exhibit and showcase for all to see"he said and I scoffed silently.
"I know that. I don't want to showcase. It is my hobby and I am not interested in making a living out of it" I deadpanned and walked out not before waiting for his response.
I was tempted to throw it into the bin but I didn't want my hard work to go into waste.
I checked my phone to see the school already closed thirty minutes ago.
I headed straight for the carpark.
I got to my car and sighed when I saw a girl leaning on it. She would have been appealing if I wasn't stuck with this unknown problem.
She smirked and pushed her boobs up from the thin crop top. I was about to reject her but saw her walking towards here with her friends.
I smirked at the girl and she understood the message.
"Let's continue this elsewhere" I leaned forward to whisper that in her ear. She nodded and gave me a sultry smile.
I unlocked the car and didn't bother glancing at her. I don't want to see that sad look again. It already haunted me enough to be able to sketch it.
I have been seeing it since I started conversing with other girls.
I started the car and the girl leaned towards me in her seat. She lifted a finger and I didn't even want her to touch me. "Patience girl, where is your address?" I said not sparing her a glance.
"I have been waiting for this day for so long. I was so sad it wasn't going to happen when you got together with that pauper"she sneered and I frowned. "Don't say a word about her in my presence. Just give me your fucking address" I deadpanned and she retreated at my tone.
She said her address and I drove to the location following the GPS.
I stopped in front of the house and parked the car.
"You can get down now" I said in an impatient tone and drummed my fingers on the steering wheel.
"Are you being serious right now?"she asked and I turned to her. "Does it look like I am joking?"
"I thought this was just a false rumor. I have been hearing the girls in the bathroom gossip about this. You only picked them up from school and just drop them in their homes. You only act interested in school which doesn't even happen all the time.
I guess you are still hung up on that cheap bitch"she sneered and I pinched the bridge of my nose. "Be thankful I didn't drop you on the way. I actually brought you home. I am not turned on by you so this whole thing is pointless.
Just get the fuck out of my car quietly. Don't make me do it for you" I said with a menacing glare and smirked watching her swallow.
"I hate you"she shrieked but got down.
Now that wasn't so hard.
I started the car and drove home. I am just fed up with all of them.
I was even more shocked when Katrina broke up with Mason to get back with me.
She is delusional if she thought I would actually get down with her of all people.
The girl irks me off. I can't forget she planned to pin me as a cheater.
To think she didn't break up with me.
She actually took a stand for me.
People wouldn't believe she broke up with me but I don't have the time to entertain stupid gossips.
The gate opened as soon as I appeared.
I pulled up in the garage and got out.
I made my way inside the house and was shocked to see my brother watching tv.
I thought they all went for a trip and would be coming back on Monday.
"Fancy seeing you here brother" I said with a small smile as he turned to the sound of my footsteps.
We did the bro hug and I settled beside him. "Mom and dad are coming back on Monday just in time for your big game.
I came back early from France because I didn't want to be stuck with those oldies"he explained with a blank face and I chuckled.
"How is training going?"he added and I groaned. "We are training every morning and afternoon. We would be training this weekend too. No time to rest" I said and he chuckled.
"It's the finals so he would be on the edge"he said with a firm voice and I agreed with him.
"How are you coping?"he asked looking concerned and I sighed. It is one of the times he actually expresses his emotions and I know how hard it is for him to do so. He is my brother and we are super close. We tell each other everything.
He might be close off sometimes due to the nature of his job. It's not easy to run different businesses on your own.
He has my dad to help him sometimes.
Sometimes, I feel like quitting basketball completely to study business management full time to help him.
He tells me not to worry that he got everything under control.
"It has been affecting me at practice. Coach said he might be forced to make a decision that will benefit the team. Scouts are coming and I can't afford not to play"I replied and closed my eyes resting my head on the chair.
"Devi rimetterti in sesto, fratello. Questo gioco è davvero importante per te e non puoi rilassarti adesso. Guarda quanto sei arrivato lontano. Non dovresti lasciare che questo ostacoli la tua svolta. Sei un uomo Bianchi e noi non FALLIAMO. Fatto?
(You have gotta pull yourself together bro. This game is really important to you and you can't slack off now. Look at how far you have come. You shouldn't let this hinder your breakthrough.
You are a Bianchi man and we don't FAIL.
Got it?)"he patted my shoulder and I nodded opening my eyes.
"I just have to practice hard" I replied and got up. "I can help you with that. I am free right now and it has been long since I have held a ball"his lips twitched up a bit and I nodded.
He also plays really well. We both inherited that from our dad.
He didn't pursue a career in it but he played a few times in high school. He wasn't really in the team even though he would have gotten a place in the team immediately. It was just an hobby to him but it is my dream.
He didn't attend Starlight, he actually schooled in London and also attended Oxford.
"I will go change this" I said and he nodded getting up as well.
"Where is Sydney and Delaney?" I asked as we got to the middle of the stairs.
"They went shopping"he replied.
"Non sei stato costretto ad andare con loro (You weren't forced to go with them?)"I asked because Delaney always forced him to go with them. Classifying it as family bonding time because he travels a lot for work. "I used work as an excuse again"he replied and I shook my head at him.
"Non sai quanto sia difficile entrare e uscire da negozi di cui non sai nulla. In realtà questo richiede non meno di cinque ore (You don't know how hard it is to keep going in and out of shops you know nothing about. This actually takes not less than five hours)"he grumbled and I chuckled. I quickly sucked it up when he glared at me.
I jogged to my room and tossed my backpack on the couch.
I changed into a sleeveless jersey with matching shorts.
I looked at myself in the mirror and sighed.
You shouldn't let this hinder your breakthrough.
He so damn right. This is super important to my future. I must get that scholarship and prove myself worthy of being the captain to coach and my teammates.
I took deep breaths and walked out.
I met him on the staircase and we headed to the basketball court outside.
I grabbed a ball and dribbled. I shoot but it missed just by a inch.
He smirked and bounced the ball.
He made a lightning-fast drive to the basket, weaving through me while I stood there shocked.
"I still got the skills even though I haven't played in years"his voice reached me and I turned.
I underestimated him thinking he wouldn't be that good.
"Non sottovalutare il tuo avversario Asher. Non sai mai cosa succederà (Don't underestimate your opponent Asher. You never know what it is going to happen)"he said and I nodded in understanding.
I managed to get the ball from him and I moved forward.
He stood in front and waited for me to make my move. I shoot the ball and he managed to execute a perfect timed block sending the ball to the sidelines.
He smirked and crossed his hands over his chest. I groaned in frustration and got back into position.
What have I become?
I train everyday yet I can't beat the man who hasn't touched a ball in more than five years.
"Your opponent can overpower you but don't let that get you frustrated. That would make the matter ten times worse. You should learn to block your feelings and emotions when playing.
That will enable you calculate with your head and think of a way to beat your opponent. Try to watch closely for a weakness"he said and I tried to do what he asked.
It was hard but I tried to block my thoughts. I took deep breaths and he passed me the ball.
I blocked off all thoughts about her and focused on the game.
I bounced and moved past him quickly. I shoot the ball and made a three pointer.
He nodded at me and I smiled.
We continued playing and I tried hard to follow his instructions.
He beat me and I already made a basket five times. It was better than my performance in practice.
"Scopri come bloccare prima di lunedì (Learn how to block before Monday)"he said and I nodded in understanding.
I watched him walk away before settling on the ground. I held the ball in my hands and groaned loud.
I hate this.
I better improve if I don't want coach to bench me for the game.
——————————————————————————————————————————
I wrapped my boxing gloves around my hands. I went to stand in front of the punching bag delivering hit after hit.
I am so mad. I was really bad at practice and coach gave me a knowing look.
I begged for another chance tomorrow and hoped to improve.
The match is just a day after tomorrow and I am at my worse.
Blocking emotions was fucking hard to do. I couldn't stop myself from imagining myself kicked out of the team.
I worked so hard to get to the finals.
I groaned as I ripped the punching bag off. Great, now I have to find something else to vent my anger on.
I ripped off the gloves and stormed out.
I headed to my room and took a quick shower. I throw on a hoodie and joggers.
I headed to the game room and walked in.
I moved to the basketball game and set the game. I hoped to pass my high score in this game.
The game started and I knew I was losing.
The buzzer went off and I only managed to get correct shoot ten times.
That is the worst I have ever done in this game. The door opened and I turned to it.
"Em"I smiled as she wrapped her hands around me.
I hugged her back and moved us to the couch. "How are you doing princess?"I asked as I settled her on my lap.
She gave a thumbs up and flashed me a toothy grin. "Are you okay?"she asked scanning my face.
Even a three year old can predict my mood. "I am good" I replied and she scrunched her eyebrows together.
"I went to your room as soon as I heard you were back. You weren't there"her speech has gotten better in the past few month.
"I went to the gym" I replied and she nodded.
"When is Ste going to come visit? I miss her"she said and my smile dropped.
"She is really busy right now so I am not sure when" I replied not wanting to break her heart.
"I will see her at your game right?"she asked and I paused.
I wasn't even sure if she was going to come but I nodded anyways.
"Can we watch my fav movie?"she said with a puppy dog eyes and I nodded. It was hard to say no even though I hated the movie.
She squealed and got up. "Let's go"she said smiling and pulled me out.
She ran and I matched her strides easily.
I opened my room and entered. I grabbed the remote and the tv appeared.
I pressed a few buttons and the movie started playing.
She kept smiling and it was hard to not do the same.
She was so engrossed in her words and I listened to everything.
She rested her head on my laps and focused on the movie.
I ran my hands through her hair and she gave me a thumbs up.
For once, I ignored the nagging voices and thoughts and focused on this bubble of sunshine.
Man didn't it feel good to feel at peace after a long time?

Happy new month to you all.
I plan to finish the book before the 10th of March.
Giving you an insight into Asher's mind. They are both suffering.
It would get better.
Don't
Forget
To
Vote
And
Comment
Xoxo
~Aridah.