Chapter 29: Meeting the father figure...

RAYA'S POV:

   After school, i head to the girl's locker room and change out into basketball shorts and a workout tank. I pull on my kneepads and bright orange shoes and run up the stairs and into the gym. LJ and a Freshman, Shayla, are setting up the net. 

    I grab a ball out of the basket and bounce it a couple times before serving it as hard as i can at LJ. It smacks her in the back and she slowly turns around, with her red hair flowing around her shoulders. She glares at me and i smirk.

   "It was an accident," I lie and she gives me a look before tying her hair up into a high ponytail. She picks up the ball and drop kicks it at me. I skriek, i know girly, and duck out of the way just in time.

    "Jeez, LJ, what are you trying to do? Take off my head?" I ask her and she smirks.

"Guess you'll never know,"

  They finish setting the net up and LJ bounces over to me while Shayla walks over to her friends, who have just walked into the gym. LJ grins at me and i smile back.

    "You ready for the home game on Saturday?" She asks me and i nod eagerly.

'Heck yes, i am! It's going to be great! Hunter already told me he's going to take me out to dinner after the game. So, we better win so that i won't have to be depressed when i go to dinner with my amazing boyfriend," I say and she laughs.

    "We most definitely are going to win. With you as our spiker and me as setter, there's no way we could go wrong," she says with fake arrogence. 

   LJ has always been one of the most confident people i have ever met, but she's no where near cocky or arrogent. Which is a good thing because i usually don't get along with those kinds of people very much.

   LJ is about to start talking , i'm assuming about Jerron, when Coach walks into the gym, followed by the rest of the team, and motions everyone over to her. LJ and I jog over to her, as does everyone else.

    "Alright, ladies, I know that i have been pretty lazy about having you girls workout. But that's about to change because, as much as i hate to say it, you all need to get into some serious shape if we are going to have any chance at winning state this year," Coach warns and i groan out loud by accident. Coach gives me a look and i grimace. Oops.

   "Do you have a problem with that, Brennings? You can always sit on the bench for the rest of the season," Coach warns.

 "No, ma'am!" I say and mock solute her. If it were anybody else, there's no way i would have done that, but Coach knows that they can't win without me. Not meaning to sound cocky, but it's the truth.

    "So, everybody on the base line," Coach yells and i sigh. Crap.

"Up downs, go!"

   "How many?" Lj asks and Coach grins evilly.

"Until i say stop,"

   Of course..

By the time Coach yells stop, we are all barely running.  It's come down to a really slow jog, like almost walking jog. I bend over, breathing hard, and LJ collapses to the ground with a groan.

   "Why?! What did i ever do to deserve this?!" LJ complains and i grin.

"How many did we do?" I ask her and she shrugs.

  "I stopped counting after twenty," she says and i take a deap, calming, breath.

"Alright, ladies, i can see we need to work on conditioning, but now it's time for wall sits," she says and my eyes go wide.