Chapter 30: you put your arms around me and i'm home

HUNTER'S POV:

  I wake up the next morning with Raya in my arms. She had cried herself to sleep last night and honestly I don't blame her. Her new 'family' was, for lack of a better word, interesting. Her father's new wife seemed nice enough, but Raya and Bryce didn't seem to like her very much.

    I stroke her hair softly and with my other hand I skim my thumb across her cheek bone. I look at her face closely and notice a few light freckles sprinkled across her nose. She makes a weird little moaning sound in her sleep and wrinkles up her nose. I smile lightly and she slowly opens her eyes.

  She blinks and rubs her eyes sleepily before focusing her eyes on me. She leans forward and presses her lips lightly against mine and I kiss her back, gently. Pretty soon though, things start heating up and I lean onto her while pressing her down into the bed.

    We break away from each other, breathing heavily and I lean my forehead against her's. I smile breathlessly and close my eyes, trying to keep the moment alive. Cheesy, right? Yeah, I know, but Raya makes me feel that way.

    "That was a good way to wake up," she says and I chuckle.

"Very good way,"

   "Are you coming to my game tonight?" She asks me and I sigh heavily.

"No," I reply and open my eyes and lean away from her so that I can see her reaction.

    "Why not?" She asks in confusion.

"I have a game tonight,"

   "Oh... Where at?"

I sit up, getting off her, and help her to her feet. She's still in the jeans and shirt she wore yesterday because she fell asleep in them. Her hair is sticking out in places and there are streaks of black lightly trailing down her cheeks from crying last night.

    "Arlee," I answer her as she runs her hands through her hair.

"I wish I could come," she says and sticks out her bottom lip and I smile. I lean into her, kiss her lightly, and then I gently take her bottom lip between my teeth and tug at it lightly. Her lips pull up into a smile before I let go of her lip.

   "Next time," is my reply. She wraps her arms around my neck and leans her face into my neck. I hear her inhale and I start laughing.

"Are you smelling me?" I ask her and I can almost feel her cheeks turning red with embarrassment.

   "Noooo,"

"Lies!"

   "Never!" She says with a fake indignant gasp.

 "You totally were smelling me. You can't even deny it," I tease her and she groans.

   "Stop it! I can't help it! You smell good," she says and leans away from me. When she realizes what she says, she slaps a hand over her mouth and I start laughing.

   "Busted!"

"Derk!"

  "Hey now, I simply pointing out what you were doing, it's not my fault that you were doing it and that you got caught," I reply with a smirk. She punches my stomach, but when she pulls it away I see her shaking her hand out.

   "Are you two done being all lovey dovey?" Her mom asks from the doorway. I look over at her to see her leaning against the door frame with raised eyebrows. Raya blushes, but I just take her hand in mine and we all walk out into the living room.

   "I hate to even ask, but what happened at your father's place last night?" Her mom asks Raya when we are all sitting down.

 Raya looks at her hands and i squeeze her hand gently, to let her know that I'm here for her. She looks over at me from the side of her eyes and grimaces.