Pseudo Patriarchy

The blazing midday sun shining relentlessly, bathed the walls of the huge palace of Dwarka with its warm light

The blazing midday sun shining relentlessly, bathed the walls of the huge palace of Dwarka with its warm light. It was one of those days when the officials and the assembly weren't engaged in some vigorous brainstorming.

Taking a perfect opportunity within, the sound of muffles and mild laughters filled the engrossed hallways of the palace as two kids ran behind each other. Yes, Shatanik sprinted down the entire way, with a mischievous smirk plastered on his little face followed by Dhriti, limping slowly, trying to gather her pace to match up with his.

"Shatanik, run your errands after having your lunch. Eat the food!" Dhriti hobbled, following the chuckles and balancing the huge thali in her hands.

"Enough Bua, I'm full." He glanced behind, quickly slipping inside Vaishnavi's room.

"Full on what? Air?
You haven't even tasted a single bite and 'eNoUgH bUa i'M fUlL.'" Dhriti sneered with a frown.

"Look Bua! Its mid afternoon already and Vaishu is still sleeping.
Go go, keep this thali aside and wake her up!" Shatanik hyped, grinning at Dhriti.

"Yes young man, don't jumble me up. I have a vast knowledge of all your tricks. Now have this otherwise I'll stop pampering you and send you back to Indraprasth!" She comically widened her eyes, finally feeding him his first bite.

Without any further ado, Shatanik gave up on the thought of troubling his Bua as his eyes traced yet another setting, with fresh new shenanigans igniting his mind.

"Bua, what is this?" He asked, pointing at a small casket placed in front of the huge mirror.

"This? Those are Vaishnavi's stuff. Kajal, bindis, tilak and lord knows how many antique jewelries she asked Devki maa to make for her. None of your use anyways.....Unless you want to become Brihannala." Dhriti chuckled, now effortlessly feeding him half the meal.

"Bua, when are you going to tell us the story of Brihannala? That's your job!" Shatanik whined, lifting that small casket.

"I will, once you stop purposely troubling the storyteller." Dhriti grinned back, finally finishing up with her hectic task of feeding Shatanik.

"Oye, now where are you taking that casket at?" Dhriti furrowed her brow.

"Nowhere! Just exploring stuffs." Came a savy reply as Dhriti tiredly rolled her eyes.

"Don't host yet another dramatic horseplaying show of your silliness. I'll be back in a few." She instructed, before leaving with the fully finished thali, not noticing the ever flaring grin on Shatanik's 'handsome' face.

"It's completely on Bua to save me after Vaish wakes up." He plafully whispered, slowly opening the casket, making sure he doesn't disturb his sister's 'peaceful' sleep.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The dusky outskirts of Magadh looked devoid of the power that once used to slay away the invaders. The empty roads laid like a carpet for prosperity that will never come. The leafless bushes swayed to and fro only to be greeted by the dust-laden winds arising from the mighty horses and chariot travelling on them.