Thirty eight

When you wake up in a cell, surrounded by walls and a glass door, you're either a mental patient or a prisoner. Spencer hadn't been a mental patient for years.

SPENCER
Sitting on a soft-ish bed, I struggled to stay awake as someone struggled to get up in the cell across from mine.

"Hey! Are you ok?" I asked as I saw a tall man stand up, using the bed as support.

"Ezra?" I asked as I saw his face. His hair was messed up and luckily he didn't have any injuries.

"Spencer..." He spoke, scared.

ARIA
"Aria? Are you ok?" Hanna, Emily and Spencer sat besides me as we sat in Ezra's loft.

"I've tried calling Ezra but he hasn't picked up. I called Wesley and his mother. Neither of them have seen or heard from him." I was now getting worried.

"Don't worry Aria. Tanner and Toby are searching for him." Emily tried to comfort me.

"I've spoken to Toby. They don't have any idea who could've taken him yet." Spencer seemed worried.

"Do you ever think Tanner will get tired of helping or saving us? I mean, she saved us from the bunker, she saved me and Aria from Noel's cabin and now she's looking for Ezra who has been taken." Hanna brought up a point she found funny.

"Not funny Hanna." Spencer spoke.

"I need to go. I'm meeting my dad for lunch." Spencer smiled as she hugged me before leaving.

ALEX
Spencer had been trying to pick the lock on her door for nearly an hour, but nothing worked.

"Spencer...stop trying." I entered the hallway, forcing her to sit on the bed.

"Why are you doing this?" Spencer asked, confused.

"When the only person who knew of my existence had disappeared without a trace, I would do everything to find her." I was persistent.

"And you think we know where she went?" Spencer asked, still very confused.

"You, yes. Him? Well...Aria needs to know how to live without her love." I smiled as I laughed.

"Well. I have other places to be!" I left the room. As I sat on a bench as Spencer, having met up with my mother, Jenna walked out with my mother before I spoke to Jenna and walked inside.

TOBY
I heard Jenna's voicemail about Spencer, already having a few suspicions of my own. I watched as Aria attempted to text Spencer. I told her not to.

"Spencer gave me this. I didn't look at the book until today, it's not hers. It's not Spencer's. She was always...writing down notes in that book. There's not one single note in there." I spoke as I pointed to the book while Aria flipped through it.

"Now I'm really confused." Hanna shook her head in disbelief.

"Well...what if twins run in the family?" I put out the question. Everyone seemed to look at me in confusion then shock.

As we all stood in silence, my phone buzzed.

"They've found Ezra...and Spencer." I spoke as I looked at the notification. I rushed out of Ezra's loft, the group following me as we rushed to the location I had received.

We eventually got to the location, Emily confused. "Wait...isn't that the house you built Toby?" She asked.

"I never found out who bought the house..." We walked inside. "You shouldn't be here." Tanner nearly forced us out. "I'm not leaving!" Aria said, defending herself.

After 15 minutes, we watched as two people who looked exactly like Spencer were brought out in handcuffs, while Ezra walked out, almost unharmed.

"Let me go! I'm Spencer!" One of them spoke as they tried to release themselves.

"No! I'm Spencer!" The other spoke, annoyed.

We got to the precinct, the two girls being put into a conference room together.

"They've been bickering for the past 30 minutes." I spoke to the girls.

"Toby, what if you can't figure out who is who?" Ezra asked as he listened to the questions being asked to the girls. Ezra hugged Aria.

"I have a question that the police haven't asked yet." I spoke as I walked into the conference room. I whispered the question and answer to Lt Tanner before sitting down. I looked at one of them first.

"Tell me your favourite poem from the book you gave me." I asked. The girl couldn't answer the question, until Spencer spoke.

"Une orange sur la table. An orange on the table. Ta robe sur la tapis. Your dress on the rug. Et toi dans mon lit. And you in my bed." Spencer recited the bit, making me happy.

An officer sat across from Alex, ensuring that she didn't leave while Spencer was released. I hugged her.

ARIA
After an hour of waiting, Ezra, Spencer, Caleb, Toby, Emily, Hanna, Alison and I were about to leave the precinct when Lt Tanner stopped us.

"Unfortunately, Alex Drake has escaped police custody." She spoke.

"WHAT?!" We all shouted in unison.

"We suspect that Mary Drake helped her escape." Tanner informed us.

"What about Charlotte?" Alison asked.

"Charlotte was seen discharging herself out of the hospital 7 hours ago. We believe that she helped Mary escape police custody while Mary helped Alex escape police custody." Tanner became worried.

"So Mary, Charlotte and Alex have escaped?" Emily asked as Tanner nodded her head.

"Yes." Was all she said before letting us leave.