Chapter 14 (edited)

Claire's POV:

The next morning I woke up gasping for air, sweat all over my face, and tears storming down my eyes as my heart was pumping fast like it was slamming hard against the rib cage and will burst out any moment.

I took deep breaths closing my eyes, trying to forget those memories, these aren't nightmares, these are my memories, memories of my horrifying past, of everything I went through.

I swiped the sweat off my face and slide off the bed to go to the bathroom.

I washed my face and did my business. Walking out of the bathroom I went in the closest to change. Looking around the options of clothing I had I got a bit confused about what to wear.

In the end, I decided to wear a full sleeve white high-neck shirt with a pink plaid skirt.

Looking into the mirror I smiled as it fitted perfectly on me. I went back into the room and picked up the book Xavier gave me, how am I supposed to give it back to him? Maybe I can ask Ella to give it to him. Yes, that's a good idea.

I walked out of the room with the book in my hand. Walking downstairs I could smell that Ella was making pancakes. I fastened my pace getting into the dining room, Derek was already seated, scrolling on his phone. Time for payback!

I slowly crept behind him and-

"I can easily hear your footsteps kitten" Derek spoke without taking his eyes off his phone.

I huff out in annoyance plopping down on the seat next to him. He chuckled looking at me.

"You need to be more sneaky and quiet if you wanna get me kitten" he said and ruffled my hair making me giggle.

"I will get back at you someday, that's a promise!" I said raising my chin and he chuckled.

"Can't wait for that day to come kitten" he said and soon Ella came in with the delicious-looking pancakes.

She served us as I thanked her and started eating and so did Derek. I was only 4 to 5 bites in when the chair next to me was pulled and there sat Xavier. His cologne evaded my nostrils.

"Morning brother" Derek greeted his brother as Xavier nodded at him slightly.

"G-good morning" I mumbled softly as I could feel his eyes on me, I hesitantly looked up to see if he was looking at me or am I hallucinating. Looking up my eyes connected with his as he was looking at me.

"Good morning" he replied as Ella served him too and he got busy with his breakfast, I let go of the breath that I was holding and started eating.

After we all finished eating Ella came in and started gathering the dishes. I stood up holding my plate.

"Let me help you with these" I proceeded to take Derek's plate but Ella stopped me.

"No, no sweetheart, I have Emma helping me today in the kitchen" I nodded slightly and sat back down as she walked away with the dishes in her hands. I just wanted to get out of here.