Chapter 55 (edited)

Claire's POV:

The next morning I woke up feeling hot and starving, but with almost no energy to move.

I ran my eyes up to the clock and gasped bolting out of my bed when I realized I was 2 hours late and the cafe might still be closed because I had the keys.

Rushing to the bathroom I quickly did my business and since I fell asleep in my work attire I ran my hands on myself to straighten my clothes out a bit before putting my hair up in a messy bun and rushed to put on my coat.

Grabbing the cafe keys I rushed out of the apartment and practically sprinted my way down the road.

I reached the cafe in 7 minutes which usually takes me 15 minutes. And when I reached the cafe I saw it was already open. How??

Frowning I pushed the door open and walked in, the cafe was already so packed.

"Slept in huh cupcake? Luckily I had the spare keys" Ethan's voice came and I looked at him guiltily.

"So sorry Ethan, my alarm didn't go off today" I apologized and he just smiled at me.

"Relax sweets, you already work too much, I'm glad you got in a few more hours of sleep" he chuckled and I let out a sigh of relief and walked over to tie the apron around my waist and stood behind the counter.

I wasn't feeling my best today, my throat was aching and my headache was unbearable but I didn't wanna tell Ethan because then he will make me go home and I didn't wanna be home all by myself.

Today wasn't like any other day because deep down I was still hoping to see him again and I also knew for a reason he won't come.

Hours went by and there was no sign of him and I focused my mind back on work, taking orders, helping Ethan back into the kitchen, he told me 10 times all ready to go home because according to him I look like a zombie.

But I refused him and picked the tray of freshly baked blueberry muffins to set them on the display.

That's when the doorbell dinged again but I was too busy trying not to burn myself with the hot tray that I didn't look up and all I could see from the glass was a pair of manly legs stop in front of the pantry.

"What can I get you, sir?" I asked putting in the last muffin and quickly stood up, but the sudden action caused black dots to blur my vision and my ears started ringing loudly while I could feel my legs going numb so I immediately held onto the counter blinking rapidly.

Just before I could give in and drop down I felt a pair of arms holding me firmly, pressing my head against a hard chest allowing me to hear the subtle heartbeats and soon the ringing in my ears faded away, and my vision cleared out.

And just then the scent of that same cologne invaded my nostrils, the same cologne that never failed to calm me down.

Hesitantly lifting my head I looked up just lock eyes with him.

His eyes looked at me with worry, the cold look he had in them yesterday was gone, instead, they were filled with care and worry. But he soon shielded each emotion in his eyes and helped me stand properly on my feet and took a step back.

"S-Sorry" I mumbled softly and he hummed in response.

Clearing my throat I walked towards the cashier to type in his order.

"Black coffee?" I asked, my voice surprisingly low and raspy.

"And a muffin, to go" he finished and I typed in his order, feeling his eyes monitoring my every move.