Trauma triggers Part M-16

Daily goal - Identify triggers

Wikipedia definition of a trauma trigger - A trauma trigger is a psychological stimulus that prompts involuntary recall of a previous traumatic experience. The stimulus itself need not be frightening or traumatic and may be only indirectly or superficially reminiscent of an earlier traumatic incident, such as a scent or a piece of clothing. Triggers can be subtle and difficult to anticipate. A trauma trigger may also be called a trauma stimulus, a trauma stressor, or a trauma reminder.

Most individuals suffering from trauma or mental difficulties know that a trigger brings back floods of instabilities or emotions that might be in the form of physical or emotional consequences. This is seen as a trigger, and every individual has their own form of trigger.

I can't tolerate conflict, once there is conflict around me my whole being shuts down, my insides start shaking uncontrollably, and I experience this sensation in my chest that I mostly struggle to explain to people, feels as if my heart is beating with such intensity that I occasionally believe that "this is my time, death has finally come to receive".

This unexplainable emotion is created through a trigger as simple as the day-to-day conflict between individuals. This happens even when I am in a shopping center and a parent would cuss their child, I would just leave the store emotionally as I know today that conflict is one of my major triggers.

Avoiding these situations is best for my mental wellbeing, I know this through experience, and I know today that avoiding these situations is essential to my mental growth.

Most people experience the power of an unexpected memory or emotional back flash, such as a first kiss, family holiday, or simply time spent with that special person, but for those of us that have to deal with PTSD or a similar disorder, this unexpected memory can uncover painful physical emotional responses.

Simple forms of self-therapy can help tremendously when triggered, such as being aware of what is happening at the moment, or keeping a grounding item closely at all times to remind yourself of the present moment.

Always remember to be kind to yourself and know what has happened in the past is not your fault. Be stronger than your past.

Research the 'flashback halting protocol,' this is an excellent form of realization technique.