Music and Mental Health Part M-21

Daily goal - Find peace within the rhythm.

Music! My healer!

"I reckon that there is no other force strong enough to calm a heart as a melody that touches the edges of our innermost emotional corners".

Vernon JB Pohl

Music was, is, and will always be my joyous place. I believe this is the case for most people, especially emotional people, as music calms the heart beyond any other form of therapy.

I love classical music, when I am at an emotionally sensitive moment, I would naturally play an instrumental song, and immediately my mood would increase automatically, "euphoric" I would say.

Since ancient times music has been realized to have therapeutic properties. Plato considered that when music is played in different modes, these different modes would arouse different emotions, such as major chords being perceived as cheerful and minor chords less cheerful.

Let's discuss some of the studies on the link between music and emotions.

One study found that background music can improve our cognitive performance, this research suggests that playing instrumental music while busy with tasks can improve productivity and performance. Remember this the next time you find yourself in a stressful situation.

Seems to me music doesn't just touch the mind and heart; it penetrates deep into the subconscious.

Another study suggests that music can decrease seizure frequency, stop refractory status and decrease electroencephalographic spike frequency in children with epilepsy in awake and sleep status. I find it astounding how music affects the mind, from personal experience I know that music is a tremendous asset when I am in a full-blown panic attack.

I am going to mention one more study done into the link between music and emotion, there are multiple studies online if you want to go and research further. This topic has such a vast amount of research, that I do not want to overload the book and exhaust my readers.

This study found people with memory disorders such as Alzheimer's disease respond easier to music therapy. This study suggests that neuronal memory traces build through music are deeply ingrained and more resilient to neurodegenerative influences.

Just another reason to be astounded by the power of music.

I love music, I am a huge music fan, I listen to all types of music, and it has always been a part of me.

Music is an essential part of my life and I cannot imagine my life without it.

If you are feeling down or depressed, then put on your favorite song and just let the music take over for a moment. Music can be used for many different things but it has one underlying function; to make the world euphoric.